MAPPING L.A. > Northeast L.A.

Eagle Rock

Tell us what Eagle Rock means to you

beat franklin.

— richard palm
    August 16, 2011 at 4:02 p.m.

I've been living in Eagle Rock for a year and a half and I absolutely love it! It feels like a small town but it's close to Pasadena, Hollywood & Downtown. Also the yearly music festival is awesome and the summer concerts in the park. I especially enjoy the local community efforts to keep Eagle Rock looking its best. Groups like cleanthestreet.com and cerb.us really add to the beauty of the neighborhood.

— Trever
    August 10, 2011 at 3:08 p.m.

Eagle Rock is the greatest neighborhood in LA. Beautiful homes on large lots facing a wide street. Where in LA do you get that? We sold our 2 room bungalow in Silver Lake and bought a 3 room 1930's Spanish Revival and love love love it. What a pleasant surprise that it is such a foodie neighborhood. The Occidental College students add a nice youthful energy to the hood. Eagle Rock high school ranks high nationally. The Rec Center is a beautiful expanse of green. A great certified Farmer's Market on Fridays for your weekend cooking. But the best part is that the streets are so quiet at night and our neighbors are so nice. And so many trees that the New York Times compared it to Tuscany! It's these little things that really define quality of life.

— Pistol
    August 3, 2011 at 7:11 p.m.

When I wrote about Eagle Rock for the blog, so many people were so welcoming and helpful. I administer a Facebook Page for the neighborhood for anyone interested.

— Eric Brightwell
    April 6, 2011 at 1:24 p.m.

@Samudhra - welcome to the neighborhood! There are many places you can live in Eagle Rock where you can run simple errands on foot, but you are thinking about it all wrong if you are going to make LA your home. Angelinos *get* to use our cars when doing simple errands. That's right, easy parking makes a grocery store run a breeze - no carrying packages down the street or lugging them on buses and trains. Need to buy a tv and some new pillows on the way home from work? No problem! Let's face it, you would have used your car more in Frisco if it didn't take 90 minutes or a line of credit to find a place to park it.

— Dan
    March 8, 2011 at 1:17 p.m.

We are moving to Eagle Rock from San Francisco this summer. We are terribly sad to leave SF but would love some information on where to live that is most walkable in the area. Do you have to get in your car to run simple errands? thanks!

— samudhra
    March 8, 2011 at 10:37 a.m.

We purchased our first home in Eagle Rock in 2005 and plan on retiring here - we love it here that much! We are very fortunate to have great neighbors and have met many wonderful, friendly people in the neighborhood while walking our dog. Many of these neighbors and acquaintances have become good friends of ours.

Eagle Rock definitely has a small town vibe, but also has a funkier, fun and diverse side with a broad range of age and ethnic groups. You get a real sense of community living here and I'm very proud to call Eagle Rock my home.

— Bethany
    January 6, 2011 at 11:26 a.m.

I just moved to Eagle Rock three months ago and attend Occidental College. Coming from NYC, I've seen good and bad neighborhoods. Before moving to LA, I had heard so many negative things about this area of the city. But once I got here, it was everything I hadn't expect. The neighbors are nice, the houses are beautiful, Eagle Rock Blvd and Colorado Blvd are some cool avenues, it's a diverse and fun filled place. I would still recommend walking in groups during the nighttime. But you're completely safe during the day. Occidental also makes the area a lot more welcoming. Go Eagle Rock!

— Ricky
    November 28, 2010 at 10:37 p.m.

I grew up in Eagle Rock. Went to ERHS in

the early 8O's. Area changed a bit. I"m beginning to see more security bars on more homes now. I live in Glendale now but still visit my parents who are still in

Eagle Rock. I have a lot of fond memories growing up in Eagle Rock.

— CityGuy
    November 22, 2010 at 8:06 a.m.

I Have lived in Eagle Rock since 1996, before that Highland Park, Sun Valley, Montebello , Cypress Park and Pacoima. Back in the 50's even Pacoima seemed like a small town. I like Eagle Rock the best. My kids have gone to private school here. I think the gang bangers who are around might bother the kids and not so much the adults. The helicopters don't fly overhead as often as they used to, maybe those criminals are in the slammer now. I like Vons Market, Trader Joe's, Pete's Blue Chip, Oinkster, Senor Fish and Casa Bianca Pizza. I like the fact that you can get to areas such as downtown, Pasadena, Glendale and even Burbank fairly easy. We have just about every thing close by. I think I'll stay here as long as I can. I enjoyed all the comments except for the one who seems to be angry about something, there's always one in the crowd.

— Ruben
    October 26, 2010 at 12:44 a.m.

I've lived in Eagle Rock since 1976. I love it here because it's like living in a small town. It doesn't even dawn on me that I live in a big city.

— Thomas
    September 13, 2010 at 5:46 a.m.

I love Eagle Rock. It's so much better than most other L.A. neighborhoods.

I do nearly all my business on Colorado Blvd. Eat, fix my car, buy hardware, dry cleaning, and I love to see places in my neighborhood featured in "Best Of" lists.

I'm glad that the ultra-negative Eagle Rock naysayers all state they've moved out in the comments. Good riddance.

Some people are just negative and will always be negative and full of hate. I'm glad I don't have to share the streets with you anymore.

I must admit, I am disappointed when the community says no to positive opportunities to improve the neighborhoods, such as denying various license requests to legal business and then turning a blind eye to an overwhelming "medical" marihuana industry obviously operated by organized crime.

I believe crime rate has gone up since we were invaded by these places, sort of like the crime wave that hit Las Vegas when Joe Pesce and Robert Deniro took over the Casino in their famous movie.

A poor employee at Trader Joe's on Colorado was shot recently. Several marihuana dispensary employees have been murdered in other neighborhoods, this is not the type of business you want to surround Dahlia Heights. The best elementary school in the County.

If this is truly a medical substance, why can't it be sold at legitimate pharmacies run by legitimate business who follow legal practices?

I see gang members going in and out of these "medical" places all the time, again, not a good direction for a community where people intend to raise families.

No place is perfect I suppose, but we can and should work together to improve this community. You don't have to have lived in Eagle Rock for the last 60 years, and it doesn't matter if you bought your house a few months ago.

This is your community now and it deserves that we all do our best to help each other have a high quality of life.

— EagleRockRocks
    August 3, 2010 at 4:20 p.m.

I bought a house, in Eagle Rock in 1993 I love the community. It was a unique place to raise a family.It was quiet,that is why I love this place.Me and my wife raise two kids.Both went to Eagle Rock primary and high school.They both graduated and are now in college.I enjoy the the walk around the community.My older son works for the City Recs and Parks.everything is walking distance,every thing is accesible. Iwalk to church,store,especially the mall.That Eagle Rock Plaza is very unique,it became a filipino shooping store.The only bad thing is tomany carsflying on my street,but seldom you see people walking,most likely everyone are always on their cell phone,especially inside the church.I will enjoy my life here.

— Charles
    May 23, 2010 at 11:36 a.m.

Remember Julio's Itzza Pizza??? My parents used go eat there on dates back in the 50's and our family still craves that great tasting meatball pizza!

Well guess what!?!?! An Indian family bought the "secret" recipe when Julio won the lottery and they opened a pizza place in Artesia called Julio's Pizza! The pizza tastes the same and it has the same thin crust! No fish tanks but check them out anyway, you won't be disappointed!

— Becki Garcia
    May 20, 2010 at 7:07 p.m.

Eagle Rock is cool. It got dome problems with the Avenues gang that is also in highland cypress and glassel park. It is getting kind of bad and might turn in to be as bad as highland park.

— CosaNostra
    May 16, 2010 at 5:07 p.m.

Eagle Rock is the best kept secret in L.A.

— Jennifer
    April 20, 2010 at 7:19 p.m.

We LOVE Eagle Rock. I have great naighbors, and we are thrilled to get on a bike or car, and go to some of the best food around. Its an enclave that suits us fine. We sit right on top of the border between Eagle Rock and Highland Park. Beautiful views, and a wonderful area. Its very suitable for young and old. Elementary Schools and Occidental College anchor the area. Great lil shoppes for all kinds of peeps. See you around....

— Lil Red Scout
    February 23, 2010 at 9:38 a.m.

I have lived here since the early seventies and have, like most old residents, seen the community change. I understand that there are a handful of residents that do the whole "remember when" and tie a sentence or two about how Eagle Rock has lost it's small town feel. I will be the first to debate those individuals who miss their favorite muffler shop or dive bar. I will be the first to argue with those individuals who hate the new feel of Eagle Rock. So what if there are people in cafes using their laptops and a new hip community that choses to go to great restaurants and an outstanding wine bar. We used to have to go into Pasadena or Glendale to enjoy these forms of entertainment, now it is all right here. If the old generation of Eagle Rocker misses the auto repair shops, vacant lots, and dive bar (Blue Fox-Toppers-Porterhouse) feel, let him move to the Rust Belt. Let the rest of us enjoy our long awaited moment and future in the sun.

— C Deacon
    February 19, 2010 at 8:25 a.m.

Eagle Rock........think Avenues...

Highland Park, Lincoln Heights, Eagle Rock gang central........I lived for 24 years, my brother was murdered, Big Hazard.......I lived there for 24 years

only got shot once.......you people are living in Disneyland not 90041.

I'd never go back........

— bob jones
    February 9, 2010 at 10:07 a.m.

I moved to ER with my parents in 1942! Wow, 68 years ago, when I was 5. Grew up there, great place, and it was fun to see ER on the map. Now I live in Campinas, Brazil, but I still clearly remember my roots, especially Colorado Blvd., which used to be part of the last miles of the famous Route 66, which ran from Chicago to the Pacific Ocean, at Santa Monica. It was also known as The Main Street of America, right thru Eagle Rock. Basic memories of who I am.

terry hill

— Terrence Hill
    January 28, 2010 at 6:52 p.m.

I love Eagle Rock, my parents moved here in the early 70's and it was a great place to grow up in! I remember hiking the hills behind Yosemite park, walking home from school and taking the 181 to the Glendale Galleria ( the things one remembers).

Yes I too have moved away from ER, but visit my family often. I agree ER has changed, but it's a good change! I hope to move back to ER soon. It is a very diverse place, but as Aileen pointed out you don't realize it until you are gone from it.

Here's to my ER, LA's best kept secret!

— _Byron
    January 9, 2010 at 11:11 p.m.

Hip folks, great food, and the best medical marijuana facilities in Los Angeles. Eagle Rock is the bomb.

— Dr. Doom
    December 21, 2009 at 3:39 p.m.

In response to BARRY's comment in June. Filipino's are Asian Ethnicity, which is represented in the Pie as such. It also makes reference in the Ancestry and Immigration section.

— Mark
    December 5, 2009 at 4:48 a.m.

Love EagleRock and its Southern Buddy Highland Park. People are coming in and starting ethnic restaurants and great shops. Easy to menuver around to the 110, 134, Ventura Freeway, 210. I love it here. Taco Trucks and Great French food, diners like Cindy's and High end veggie like Fattys. Great neighbors, and good peeps all around. I have walked these neighborhoods for 4 years, and always friendly. If I cant be near the beach, this is it.

— JLS
    December 3, 2009 at 9:08 a.m.

Wow Rudy, you are one jaded ex-resident. Glad to hear you've moved out of ER! Myself and 99% of posters here seem to think Eagle Rock is the Cat's Pajamas! Better luck in your new neighborhood.

— Ry Guy
    November 6, 2009 at 12:10 p.m.

Someone is living in a fantasy!

Once upon a time Eagle Rock was that sleepy little village, where seniors mixed with children and teens.

20 years ago, when I first moved into my home,the neighbors brought over a "cake" to welcome us to the block!

As a Mexican,Not in my memory did I ever get called out by a racist neighbor, or feel the need to change my name to fit in?

Eagle Rock was where the local hardware store owners would spend time with you to solve your hardware problems and the local coffee shops were where you could discuss the hot topic of the day with anyone, white,russian,asian,mexican,italians.

This concept of "paying more" means progress?

This concept of "new" is better?

Is all salesman hype and crap!

We are talking about a community that used to be, and house sale by sale we have lost what those coming to Eagle Rock seek to find.

The New Eagle Rock, is impersonal cell phone chatter, laptop space heads,New money which equals a different Eagle Rock , except for those living in the past.

Your Eagle Rock "doesnt exist" anymore only in your head my friend.

"Lets all get our Latte's at McDonalds" and send a message to all of these over rated over priced Johnny come lately joints.

Does keeping the lights on and paying your rent equal being in business? Lets be real here, "all real estate offices are suffering or closing!" just watch the exodus of brokers/agents looking for new jobs in other professions.

Eagle Rock real estate offices are no different.

...All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts,

...The Eagle Rock of the Past that your trying so hard to sell,

has made its exit!

— Rudy
    October 22, 2009 at 2:32 p.m.

I have lived, worked and gone to school in Eagle Rock for over 30 years now. I am proud to be here, I love this town now more than ever. If Eagle Rock has lost anything, it was the bigotry, and ethnic intolerance it once had. I am proud to be an American of Japanese and Mexican descent, and I am elated that I can use both my identities freely now without fear of reprisal. Yes, Eagle Rock has changed... for the better. It is easy for some to see the past with rose colored glasses, but I don't. I was not here in the 1920's 30's, 40's and 50's. So I speak to what I have lived.

There are a few other things I don't miss about Eagle Rock. I do not miss the gang resided on Alumni Avenue. Nor the blighted, neglected homes south of the boulevard, the runaway apartment development from out of the area property owners. I certainly was not fond of the empty and dying boulevard that attracted the homeless, and drug users for lack of viable retail tenants. Although, I am glad the Taco trucks have remained. "Yum."

What I do love about this place is exactly the microcosm of this country that Eagle Rock is. It is a melting pot of the best of all the cultures in this country, and a reflection of this beauty in our cultural and music centers. So what if a Korean is running a French restaurant. That is amazing... Would you like some Kimchee with that??

I am proud that Eagle Rock has managed to embrace the changes that have come to the betterment of the neighborhood. So if I have to pay a few dollars more for a cup of Joe, and if I want to pay $100 dollars for a sushi lunch, then so be it. A small price to pay for improving the area. I might add that the Cindy's, Armon's, Pat and Lorraine’s, and Colombo's are still here, and doing fine. As long as they have business they will go on. As for Coldwell Banker David Steven Company, despite the worst real estate market since the great depression, we are still here!

— David Steven Toyama
    October 22, 2009 at 11:36 a.m.

Well, Once Upon a Time Eagle Rock was that special place.

..Now if you want to see a perfect example of gentrification "screw up" a nice neighborhood... go to Eagle Rock.

After living there for 20 years,we are "outta there",leaving it to these spoiled Yuppie pest and their lot,with Yuppie demands for high priced and trendy "here today gone tomorrow" $12 pulled pork sandwiches, and $100 sushi roll lunches, with "valet parking"? Come on,while theres a Taco Truck parked across the street?

Real French food at Cafe Beaujoliais,

operated by the new Korean owners..the real frenchman got smart and moved to South Pasadena in 2005!

Fattys? please...what do you call that soul-less place,yes fat wallets is about it.

Eagle Rock used to be a special place,but thats all in past.You really can love something to DEATH.

Hell, even the longest comments on this page are from David Toyama, formerly David Stevens (guess in the New E.R. its now cool to use your real last name)..turns out to be just Advertising for his depressed real estate business.

So,go there now, and watch the prices go up

and the Yuppies wallow in their newly aquired illusions of grandeur,the New Eagle Rock, a town with out pity.

— Rudy
    October 21, 2009 at 9:50 a.m.

Eagle Rock has been The Mayberry community for a long time, apple pie, good neighbors and an old fashioned community feel not easily found in the sprawling city of L.A. I went to Eagle Rock High School, and lived there for ten years, I run a business on Colorado Bl. To this day the pace is much slower than most of Los Angeles; just fine when you get home from the hustle and bustle of work. A type of community that people hate to leave and generations pass down their homes.

Changes have come slowly, not a bad thing. The businesses here tend to be independently run, and entrepreneurial. Fresh with new concepts energy and ideas. The cafes, shops, restaurants and bars are top shelf. They range from the old fashioned gut busters that fill you up like Casa Bianca Pizzeria, Colombos Italian, Pat and Lorraines, Senor Fish, and Cindy's Cafe to name a few. Yes we now have the Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Coldstones, and Panda's of the world, but Eagle Rockers love that independent, adventurous edge. That is the flavor of this town.

New and exciting spots are numerous, from The Coffee Table restaurant with fresh California Cuisine in a retro building, to Oinksters across the street. There is Fatty's located in a converted mechanics building, Classic Thai on Colorado, Mia Sushi, The Taco Spot, Spitz - vegetarian kabobs, and The Wonderful Peteit Beaujolais which hosts fresh baked goods, amazing coffee, and authentic french accented staff...yum.

For some fine dining try Cafe Beaujolais, across from Peteit Beaujolais. Right next door to me is Camillo's Bistro a fresh california menu and relaxing environment. Can't forget Swork Coffee shop, one of the brave, bold, innovators that help start it all. They were an early comer to the scene by boldly going where no new shops dared to go. Coming Soon is FOUR cafe. Opening up in November. They will be bringing fresh, locally grown food to us at a reasonable price. All meals will be prepared by a well established Beverly Hills Chef. Follow them online as they build their new cafe.

Finally there are the amazing public facilities like the schools, parks, cultural center. Top performing elementary schools that compete with any private schools. I know, I sent my kids to both Eagle Rock public schools, and private. The Eagle Rock park is a hidden gem, and the Eagle Rock Chamber sponsors annual music in the park, as well as dozens of other community events there. Trails galore here and nearby, as well as open fields, and children’s play grounds. The cultural Center has also become a lynch pin to showcase the deep musical, and artistic talents and roots of Eagle Rock. One of the best showcase events in Los Angeles, they host the annual Eagle Rock Music Festival, shutting down the boulevard each fall to host mostly newer, independent bands, performers and musician. I am the local real estate broker/owner for our boutique office - Coldwell Banker David Steven Company. If you want to know more, just come and see me.

— David Toyama
    October 19, 2009 at 10:56 a.m.

I grew up here and didn't realize just how lucky I was to be in such a truly diverse environment until I left. I always wished, though, that it was more typical of a "college" town with more cafes, bars, bookstores, etc. to cater to the high school and Oxy students. There does seem to be more development along these lines now, I've noticed, when I return to visit the parents.

— Aileen
    September 22, 2009 at 9:18 a.m.

Just bougt my first house and i decided to do it in ER.. wasn't too sure what to expect and was incredibly surprised by the "neighborly" atmosphere thats so lacking in most LA. I really love it here, one of the best decisions ive made so far. I also wasnt expecting to be so central and how easy it is for me to get anywhere..traffic seems to be a non issue around here.

— NR
    September 17, 2009 at 6:01 p.m.

I have beautiful memories of ER. My family and I had lived in ER for 23 yrs. We saw it change and grow over the years. It was a good place to raise our 3 young daughters.

We moved out of ER less than a year ago to move into a bigger house and to be near my elderly parents. Now my daughter and son-in-law live in our old, beautiful Craftsman house. The neighborhood has always been nice (pride of ownership) and everyone looks out for one another. The downside for our family, at the time when our girls were school aged, were the schools. We sent all 3 daughters to private schools as we wanted smaller classroom sizes.

My husband and I are glad our eldest daughter and her husband are enjoying our old house and neighborhood.

— Malena
    September 5, 2009 at 11:07 p.m.

My husband and I went to Dahlia Heights and graduated from ER High school as did both of our children. Years 45,65,75.

You talk about a great place to live, that was then. Yes the school was beautiful. What a shame that the grass and trees were replaced by a parking lot.

We had the Dirty Dime and the Quality Quarter. Roberts men's store and Kiltys. Those were the days.

— Beverly
    August 31, 2009 at 3:52 p.m.

I grew up in ER. My dad built a house there in 1947. Most of the houses on our side of the street and on the hill behind us were built about that time. It was a great place to live--a middle-class family neighborhood, and very safe. There were still empty lots to play in. The neighborhood kids walked, skated, and rode bikes all over the place--to Yosemite Park and pool, the Eagle theater, to ERHS, the bakery, Yosemite Market, the PO, the library, hardware store, drug store, and hiked on the Eagle Rock and up and down other hills around our house. We walked for miles alone on Halloween night. There was a bonfire and carnival at the park, too. The old ERHS was such a beautiful school--what a loss when it was destroyed!

— Jeb
    August 30, 2009 at 2:39 p.m.

I Love 90041

I moved to Eagle Rock January 1, 2000, its been nine wonderful years. Lived in Verdugo Rd for a little while but it does not feel like Eagle Rock, so I came back to 90041. Will not move to any other place in Los Angeles, the only thing that bothers me a little is that seems like half of the Los Angeles smokers live in Eagle Rock, other than that everything is fine.

— Edwin
    August 23, 2009 at 12:31 a.m.

I quite like this area of LA, I find it to be very delicious and fun to be in.

— Bettsy
    August 19, 2009 at 4:31 p.m.

Love Eagle Rock..very quiet, close to Highways, Glendale, shopping...

— thomas
    August 19, 2009 at 2:47 p.m.

I live in highland park but hang out regularly in eagle rock. There are unfortunately for highland park better quality eateries and not just your mexican and fast food varieties as in highland park and stores as well with Eagle Rock Mall and the stores along Eagle Rock Blvd and Colorado. But every year I think highland park is getting to be a better community. Less crime, less helicopters buzzing by, more people especially caucasians walking around with their dogs which is always a good sign of gentrification (white return). And the section along york of businesses is really starting to transform into a happening and viable shopping area. I think we need less liquor stores and more decent shops.

— dennis
    August 18, 2009 at 12:59 p.m.

I don't live in Eagle Rock. My Uncle does. When he moved in in the early 70's it was not so great of a place. Since the early 90's it has really come back to being a really nice neighborhood. He's got great views & close to everything.

— Don Nelson
    August 17, 2009 at 12:18 p.m.

@Sasha, that is dangerous advice. If your zip code is 90042, but you're in the ERNC definition of Eagle Rock, guess what elementary school your kids get to go to? Hint, it's not Eagle Rock Elementary or Dahlia, or even Rockdale. Once the ERNC fixes that then I'll believe you, until then I'm sticking with the zip codes.

— Matty
    August 13, 2009 at 10:10 p.m.

******* NO 710 FREEWAY TUNNEL *******

A 710 -Coalition Meeting will be held on

Saturday, August 29th at 10:30a.m. at 3750 N. Verdugo Road, Glassel Park CA 90065 (Glassel Park Community Center)

The community is concerned with the effects the proposed 710 freeway extension will have on the comunities of North-East Los Angeles- (El Sereno , Cypress Park, Mt Washington, Glasell Park, Montecito Heights, Lincoln Heights, Highland Park, Eagle Rock, Eoch Park) and the adjacent cities- Glendale, La Canada Flintridge, South Pasadena, Pasadena

Visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stopthe710/ for more information and upcoming events.

— rafael
    August 13, 2009 at 4:05 p.m.

Eagle Rock is awesome!!Born and raised in this neighborhood and have seen the changes E.Rock has done. As an Angeleno, I think of this great neighborhood as one of the best in town. Eagle Rock's location is great;minutes from downtown, dodger stadium, hollywood, pasadena.The Westside not so important. I'm glad to live here.

— Danny
    August 13, 2009 at 2:51 p.m.

Do not use zip codes as neighborhood boundies. The zip codes are arbitrary demarcations set up by the post office for delivery purcposes only and do not designate any specific neighborhood.

Eagle Rock as a 'neighborhood' was demarcated by those who live in the area - a house to house poll was taken in certain areas, such as that surrounding Occidental College. Contact the ER Neighborhood Council - the 'boundries' of ER were set during the set up of the ERNC and were approved by a City commision.

If one needs specific demarcation - contact the ERNC who can tell you the exact boarders as such.

We have lived in ER for over 20 years.

— Sasha
    August 13, 2009 at 10:13 a.m.

Yes, a portion of Eagle Rock is south of York Blvd. 90041

— Your Dad
    June 24, 2009 at 11:46 p.m.

Eagle Rock is a great place to live! I've been here for 5 years and love it. The people are cool and the vibe is good. There are lots of little independent shops along Colorado and Eagle Rock Blvds. Great grub like Senor Fish and Camillos Bistro. A short drive gets you to the fun places like Pasadena & Hollywood. Plus, it's the new capital of Medical Marijuana dispensaries!

— Ry Guy
    June 24, 2009 at 9:54 a.m.

The Highland Park/Eagle Rock boundries seem a little off. I know that Oxy is almost bisected between the two communities.

— jesse
    June 4, 2009 at 1:20 a.m.

Eagle Rock is a great place to live! It's diverse, and people care about this community, as evidenced by comments in recent articles in the Times. It will be interesting to see if the figures change in the 2010 Census, as some of us have moved here since 2000 and that may change the make up in terms of ethnicity. Thanks to the Times staff for taking on this difficult job of putting some definition to the multitude of neighborhoods that make up Los Angeles.

— Carolyn
    June 3, 2009 at 8:20 p.m.

Your ethnicity pie chart seems inaccurate. There is a fairly large Phillipino population living in Eagle Rock as well as businesses (Manila Forwarders on Eagle Rock Blvd., etc.). No sign of them in your pie chart.

— BARRY
    June 3, 2009 at 4:51 p.m.

This map looks perfect. Oxy is 100% in Eagle Rock, and the blocks between Oxy and York are in ER also.

— Mark
    June 3, 2009 at 3:04 p.m.

Hello, Eagle Rock is not South of York Blvd! Or even North of York Blvd. where you show it. I understand that you have to keep blocks intact and not split them for your map, but where you show Eagle Rock S. of York and E. of E. R. Blvd. is clearly Highland Park.

And part of Occidental College is in Highland Park, so move the line up to the lower one-third of Oxy.

— Wally
    June 3, 2009 at 9:39 a.m.

Eagle Rock

is a neighborhood in the city of Los Angeles in the Northeast L.A. region of Los Angeles County.
    The neighboring communities are Glassell Park, Glendale, Highland Park, Mount Washington and Pasadena.

Eagle Rock is one of the 272 neighborhoods in Mapping L.A., The Times’ resource for crime, neighborhoods, demographics and schools.