MAPPING L.A. > Central L.A.

Echo Park

Tell us what Echo Park means to you

It was a dump in the 50's and it's still a dump.

— cookinglady
    August 9, 2012 at 8:04 p.m.

What a dichotomy of a community. Violence and beauty rolled into one... my sincere hope is that someday the city and state will recognize that communities like this need to be leveled and start all over again.

My father moved our family from Detroit to Echo Park in 1958, I was ten years old. My earliest and lasting memories of Echo Park and of East Los Angeles should be categorized as a tragedy in violence, tears and blood.

Early on my grandfather who lived on Laveta Terrace would warn me constantly about gangs, drugs and the homosexuals on Sunset boulevard by the old Pioneer Chicken. I attended Virgil Jr High and had to walk down Alvarado Blvd which was more like a gauntlet of gangs. The gangs only got bigger and worse as I grew older.

After high school in Lincon Hieghts I joined the Army. I missed what I thought was home but when I returned from Viet Nam in 1970, I realized it was just a young mans illusion.

In 1973 I moved my wife and daughter to Fort Bragg, NC and have never looked back. My parents have passed. Two of my seven brothers died from gang violence and one brother was shot by a drug dealer. His offense... he told the dealer to stop selling drugs to kids.

I retired from the Army in 2001 and live a peaceful life, away from large cities, too many people and all the related misery that goes with urban/ghetto life. I live in Central, Alaska and I am at peace.

— Reynaldo S.
    August 6, 2012 at 4:38 p.m.

tom waits once lived in echo park. 'nuff said!

— tiresias
    July 16, 2012 at 2:52 p.m.

i just moved here in 2010. i've never felt so at home in a city (i grew up in the country). my wife Paloma grew up in El Sereno and her mother still lives there (over the river and through the woods). we are expecting a new baby in October and are so happy to have a home in Echo Park. i'm sad for the families that have been forced out by rising rent and i wish that real estate prices didn't determine public safety. it's a transitional time in EP and nobody can say where its going. i hope i am part of a positive growth in the community and that my children's memories will be as rich as those that have been shared here. thank you Echo Park, for being beautiful, dynamic, historical, and real.

— Levi
    May 27, 2012 at 2:19 p.m.

In the 50's, 60's and 70's, I lived on Effie St,. my name is quite possibly still painted in graffiti on my doorless garage wall. I thought it would be cool...my mother did not. I schooled at Clifford St. Elementary. Kite Hill for those living off Glendale Blvd. was the empty space on the hill next to where the KDAY radio station was built. We had dirt-clod fights there, girls included. We had baseball games in the streets, and created our version of Dodger Stadium on the flat space of Kite Hill. The Clifford Street neighborhood boys would also go over the hill to Echo Park Ave. and play the Elysian Heights Elementary boys for bragging rights. Once, we biked to the Ivanho Elementary School in Silverlake to play the boys there. Afterwards we took our bikes to "Frogtown" and the concrete L.A. River and celebrated a victory by slamming our bike brakes in the L.A. River slime and skidding for 30 feet. I don't know why but we called the move a "brodie". We were 9, 10, 11 years old without a care in the world. Whatever Echo Park was when I was a kid, I use the memory of it to define Heaven. If I could go back in time, I would stay 11 in Echo Park forever. Oh....and the greasy chicken at the Pioneer Chicken stand was somehow so damn magically delicious.

In 2008 I visited the stand but the chicken is not the same. Flaco Jimenez and Dwight Yoakam mention the chicken stand in the Warren Zevon song "Carmelita."

El Mousie

— El Mousie de la Echo Park
    May 19, 2012 at 2:20 p.m.

I grew up there in the 90's it was a slum back when. Hipsters have no place in Echo Park

— J.
    April 29, 2012 at 11:51 a.m.

All you hipster-haters need to check yourself. Yes, hipsters are offensive to the eyes, ears and nose and yes, they provoke violent urges in me but remember, the Echo Park you grew up in wasn't always that way either. Echo Park began as a wealthy, white, Victorian neighborhood. Places change for the better and for the worse. I remember El Prado when it was a dive (I liked it then) and like it as a posh wine bar too (certainly there are more women in there now).

I miss some of the old Echo Park but it's still got the Film Center, Pizza Buona, Echo Park lake, the Baxter Stairs, the memory of Room 8 the Cat, Jensen's Rec Center (with its cool sign).

My advice? Ignore the haters, the hipsters and (most importantly) the hype. It's not the Williamsburg of LA, it's Echo Park... oh, and lying WEST of the LA River, don't be an idiot and call it the EASTside.

— Eric Brightwell
    November 22, 2011 at 11:42 a.m.

I consider myself an old fixture here in EP since 1970. I've lived on both sides of the 101 freeway and have wonderful memories of playing ball on the streets, flying kites on the hill....making life long friends & raising family. Echo Park goes beyond your outline bordered here and agree with those on the forum to extend to Beverly at Benton Way. We old folks would appreciate a correction on your mapping profile too. Thank you!

— Jim B.
    August 19, 2011 at 8:35 p.m.

YES! Steve (4th tag below) is correct.

LA Times please do update your map!

Echo Park does extend to Beverly west of Glendale blvd. to Benton Way and yes it does go even further to 3rd on a few streets. Check with the city councilman's office.

— M.M. Miyota
    August 10, 2011 at 11:28 a.m.

Echo parks demographics have changed in the past decade or so but its still the same mexican hometown for all from The house of spirits to los burritos or the lil lady selling churros on the corner..echo park will never change as long as the Exp'S are there.

— GangMember
    August 5, 2011 at 3:35 a.m.

Echo Park is a nice neighborhood. It does not have the LA feel though. In the late 1900s and early 2000s it was a different place from today. So it was in the 1930s different from the 1990s. But some parts of Echo Park still have not change. Does who say Echo Park is turning like Hollywood? Are you serious, look at the crime rate of Hollywood and of Echo Park, look around Hollywood, look at its social and demographic.

— Jose
    July 21, 2011 at 3:13 p.m.

Great memories I have are the friendships and experiences I had prior to leaving to the USMC. I am a Los Angeles Fireman 28 year veteran. I lived in the Echo Park neighborhood from 68-73 arriving from new york a rebel puerto rican lloking for excitement. I rn with the Echo Park gang,, getting into all sorts of mischief. I think its a real gem of a place to live and raise kids, there is so many things to keep families busy. no need to mention, i got away from the gangs and became a marine, then a fireman.. not too bad for a kid from the streets of echo park

— Carlitos
    May 26, 2011 at 10:21 p.m.

Echo Park's southern boundary is Beverly Blvd, except for the area between Carondelet and Benton Way where it extends south to 3rd street.

This is the neighborhood council and city council recognized boundary.

Please update your map.

— Steve
    May 1, 2011 at 12:49 p.m.

To all the hipsters moving into the neighborhood where we grew up - one piece of advice - don't ever look at us like we're the new kids on the block. Enjoy the neighborhood that will never be yours, enjoy your bar crawls that you so love to enjoy, but always know that you will never, ever be a part of our neighborhood.

— John Doe Garcia
    April 21, 2011 at 4:42 p.m.

I just saw your neighborhood crime map with calendar-driven profiles and that is really great technology... and a wonderful service. I want to congratulate you on something that can ONLY be done with a web-based news presentation and not in print. Thank you.

— Gary Davis
    February 17, 2011 at 6:30 a.m.

I dont live in echo park but i rather have hipsters then gang members . and u all hipsters come too montecito heights where the crime rate is lower we love too have u here'

— rosehills 90032
    December 18, 2010 at 10:50 p.m.

We have lived in echo park since 1982....i would like to say to all the hipsters that have infested our neighborhood in the last few years, GO HOME! WE DON'T WANT YOU HERE! IT'S NOT COOL TO LIVE IN ECHO PARK! IT'S A LIE! TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS! MOVE TO HOLLYWOOD INSTEAD! IT'S AS SUPERFICIAL AS ALL OF YOU! PERFECT MATCH RIGHT? Have a nice day....

— Billy & Ann
    December 18, 2010 at 12:35 p.m.

Echo Park was the last city in LA that I lived in before moving to the Bay Area. I loved it! I have lived in various Westside and Valley communities, but loved my brief time in EP. It was the one community that I felt was really a community. I could walk to Burrto King, Barragans, Dodger Games, and the Echo nightclub. There was that cool dinner place on Sunset (forgot the name) and you could always take a short drive to Silverlake for a little different scene. Loved the lake and the park (and the lotus blossoms when I was there) I thought it was safer than many places I lived in the Valley. Hope it does not gentrify too much, but I loved this little part of LA.

— R
    July 24, 2010 at 12:05 p.m.

Echo park has it's own song check it out:

— Dave
    July 13, 2010 at 8:19 a.m.

To all at LAT staff,

My grandparents originally bought the property I now own in this neighborhood back in the 1960's. Being a 3rd generation resident in this area, I feel you have really missed the mark regarding Historic Filipinotown (recent new name), Elysian Valley & Temple Beaudry as not being part of Echo Park.

The residents of these neighborhoods have worked long and hard to live in the area in what they believe is Echo Park or at least a sub-section of it. They lived through the crime, gangs, Rampart Police & white flight. They have lived to sustain & better their own neighborhood. Some have raised families in the midst of the declines. Now that Echo Park sees an upswing in gentrification, real estate pricing & a more positive identification than its past, you have, in one fall swoop, changed their entire identity by mapping it as part of another neighborhood (Westlake as in the case for Historic Filipinotown (HiFi), for Elysian Valley you've designated it on its own & completely separate. If you read about the history of Temple-Beaudry section, most would probably agree it has been a viable part of Echo Park's past and should be part of its future) The census track you refer to has nothing to do with how individuals see their neighborhood. How individuals feel about where their home and the neighborhood they come from should far outweigh any census tract or statistic.

Historic Filipinotown overlapped the neighborhoods of Silver lake and Echo Park. In 02 Garcetti created it as a sub-section of these 2 neighborhoods to help bring in businesses and revenue for this section of Echo Park and Silver lake since more money was being used on Sunset Avenue. Temple and Beverly needed some assistance to attract more viable businesses. Although designated as HiFi, it cannot contradict the planning of its parent and overlapped communities of Echo Park & Silver Lake. I can guarantee if you ask anyone from Historic Filipinotown as well as the other areas you grouped into Westlake, all would agree HiFi and Temple-Beaudry should not be included as a portion of Westlake and better grouped with Echo Park or sectioned off on its own. In fact you can't even link to it from the location list on your site as there is no such link provided. I am hoping you take another look at the sections of Westlake and Echo Park and reconsider HiFi's position as well as Elysian & Temple - Beaudry. Your attempt to try to clarify boundaries has confused the matter altogether.

Also the ability you provide to download your maps from this site so it can be used anywhere and on anything is somewhat irresponsible. Everyone knows how information both true or false can explode onto the web. Since you state neighborhoods are ever changing, I am hoping you reconsider and continue to change your maps according to comments posted.

Ban

ps: hoping to hear from you

— Ban
    June 22, 2010 at 2:37 a.m.

I moved to EP in 95 after graduating from a NJ University. I moved into my crazy sister's house, which I now own, on top of one of the sickest streets in CA. The view of the Hollywood sign is beautiful! I love that the Wheelman Association have their annual Fargo Hill Bike climb. The diversity in culture and class coexisting, the history, and the artistic energy are great reasons to live in EP. I now reside in Silver Lake, just minutes away from Fargo St. and I've lived in the Miracle Mile area, but I'm an Eastside kind of guy and wouldn't feel at home outside of the Echo Park/Silver Lake vicinity.

What are the downsides? There are downsides to every place you can live so why bother. EP is not perfect, but it has so much charm and a lot to offer. I love Echo Park!!!

— Fargo Juan
    May 2, 2010 at 7:11 p.m.

I was born at Temple Hospital. Lived on Clifford St in the 1950's-60's. I remember Kite Hill at the top of Clifford & Alvarado, it was an open field about 3 blocks long, where we flew kites, dug fort-holes, slid down the grassy hillsides on boxes. I went to Clifford St Elementary when it was the old brick building, and enjoyed the demolition when they tore it down for earthquake issues. But the bungalows that replaced it were so much hotter in the summer lacking the double-hung windows and over-door transoms that gave ventilation in the brick building. I saw GiGi at the Ramona theatre on Sunset, and many other movies. I remember the red cars on Glendale, going downtown with my mother. I remember smog so thick we couldn't see the mansion on the opposite hill at the end of Clifford, about 1.5 blocks away. My eyes smarted, and breathing was difficult. They blamed it on the trash incinerators for a while. I always loved the variety of houses, each one different. The open lots that were so steep grew wild flowers in the spring. There was also the fun of rolling things down the hill. I took buses to Marshall High, three buses, two transfers. I remember the Helms Bakery, and Carnation Milk trucks coming by. There was also an old man with an old green truck who brought fruits and vegetables to the neighborhood. Some neighbors still had cess-pits in the 50's. Clifford street was so steep cars that tried to park with wheels against the curb almost always would roll over the curb and into the yard, tree or hedge inside the sidewalk. When I googled the street I can see that the old Carob tree is still there, arching all the way across now.

— Eleanor
    April 16, 2010 at 9:57 a.m.

ExP Lotus

Once the nation's largest concentration.

Gone,but not forgotten. THANK You

L.A.Times for keeping Echo Park on the

map. Fine photographs (ExP Lotus) and

excellent coverage. We're lucky to have

Deborah Schoch and All You All.

Continued coverage is muy apreciado.

Thanks for letting folks know the ExP Festival (in July) needs volunteers.

Does anyone know if the draining of the

Lake is still scheduled for this July?

Viva ExP. Hope for the Lotus.

— Sharon D. Bonilla
    April 13, 2010 at 1:54 p.m.

I was raised in Burbank but at 15 back in 1975 my boyfriend lived in Echo Park on Sunset across the street from Safeway I remember walking to Burrito King on the corner of Sunset and Alvarado with him and how different Echo Park was from Burbank yet it was only about 12 min. away. My boyfriend lived in Echo park since he was born in 59 his family since the 40's he still lives in Echo Park but not in the craftmen style home that his mom rented in 62 till 2007 at 600 dollars a month now the house rents for 2000 dollars so a large number of the hispanic population were forced to move elsewhere and the yuppies and middle class have moved in. The people that have ever grown up in Echo Park still always have the same memories of Echo Park I have found....very fond memories and are very proud to be from Echo Park as for me...I feel the same about Burbank....

— ruthie cisneros
    April 2, 2010 at 12:03 p.m.

Memories of ExPx

Bright,blue skies. Waves of Butterflies.Stylish cars driving by. Crystal,clear view of downtown L.A.,morning,noon and night. Palm trees swaying, no loud music playing. Geraniums to be picked. Great Grandparents to be kissed. Lotus flowers in bloom on the Lake. Library time-corner of Temple and Glendale. Rolling down grass hills. Birds singing,church bells ringing. Fourth of July fireworks on the Lake. Lifetime friends on the make.

— Sharon D.Bonilla
    April 1, 2010 at 7:20 p.m.

Coming from just north of Philadelphia I'm fairly new to Echo Park, I live on Branden St. I moved to LA 3 years ago. I love the location being so close to downtown, hollywood and silverlake. My apartment could be better being in the middle of the glendale pass I get non stop unfiltered car fumes 24 hours a day and the occasional black sludge coming out of the shower. I am an Oblong! The history here is impressive I exaggerate it heavily to my out of state friends how I live in a building built in 1912 on the old edendale tract and in the birthplace of film. There are gunshots that go off on my street at 3 am. There have only been 2 drive by shootings in 7 months which doesn't worry me they're just shooting at the drug house across the street from me so the bullets are going away from my general direction, Being so close to a mental hospital spices up the local flavor a lot and how can you not love the homeless population urinating in the underpass at clifford. The stench of crossing the street does tend to draw attention away from the non-sense graffiti everywhere done by the newest 14 year old gang members. It is an artistic town so I chalk it up to practicing. What crosses my mind more oft than naught is the amount of abandoned buildings on glendale blvd. Or buildings with no markings as to what they are that show signs of life inside every now and then. Like the one building near allesandro on glendale blvd I know has history from back in the silent day. But cementing up the windows and just kind of letting it sit there for decades really makes me wonder how many dead bodies could just be rotting in there. I say that knowing that a few were found when they drained echo park lake so I can only assume. And the old Sennet or Keystone building maybe it was Fox whichever one it was I can't remember seeing as all that remains of it is the condemned burnt down Frame; continues to sit there on Clifford burnt still with added graffiti in an untended overgrown field. Images that can only really beautify the areas natural splendor. Ok so the part of town I live in is just about straight out of a horror movie, my apartment building follows suit. But my place was just renovated, rent is dirt cheap and I'm with in walking distance of anywhere better so really I can't complain. Like I said earlier I'm grew up near north philadelphia where they have ghettos of 200 year old row homes dilapidated and inhabited in the bitter cold of winter. Where there are gangs on every block and a war between them just about every other day. So coming to this part of town what many may call a ghetto I chuckle a little bit as its still a beautiful day with palm trees rolling hills and I know Los Angeles unlike every other city goes to sleep at night. Do I feel safe here? Well if you see a some lone white guy walking up glendale blvd at 3 in the morning back from buying smokes at am pm do wave and say hi to me. I'll probably wave back.

— Dave Sauerwald
    March 19, 2010 at 7:46 a.m.

I was born at the GENAREL HOSPITAL and live with my parents and grandparents who bought a house across the street from Elysian Heights school which I attended when the frist room 8 was there (the stray cat) and that little store that was at the corner the nice lady cuca was her name she would take our bottens and bottle caps for candy knowing we had no money,hearing the man from the fruit wagon saying fruit for sale we would go and pet his horse pepe climbing the hills over dodgers stadium which was called kite hill we pick wild bluebells and flew our kites so high thenwalk home.we would play down the avenue boy i really do miss the old times. My son were also brought up in ECHO PARQUE took them fishing at the lake and we feed the ducks had parties, and just walked around the park but now it hurts me and saddens me that i had to see a lot of families being thrown out of their homes and apartments do to this so called GENTRIFICATION which they did not understand I to was a victem of this all my life i lived in my Echo PARQUE and now i moved from the place i felt so safe at living.many may say that the gangs here were wild im proud to say my boys are grown men now and are doing fine never got into trouble so not everyone that lived in echo park is bad. there are many reasons why the kids change look at what is happening to our people who echo park is known for ,look what happened at chavez revine everyone was thrown out of their homes my dad lived there it was called palo verde. ECHO PARK so peaceful and some what has stayed the same we miss you echo park.

— old resident of echo park
    February 17, 2010 at 3:41 a.m.

I grew up in "Echo Parque" during the 80's and 90's in the 1400 block of Allesandro St. between Montana St. and Scott Ave., where my father still resides. My family moved to Echo Park in the late 70's to flee the civil war in El Salvador. Many of his neighbors today continue to be his fellow Guanacos. I have many fond and frightening memories of EP. One of the most frightening being, losing my friends to gang violence. My fond memories include walking to the Panaderia (that used to be where the MASA pizzeria is located today), with my mom ,buying my favorite pastry “orejas” and to the record store (that used to be located on the corner of Logan and sunset.) to buy the latest "Michael Jackson" album or "Pimpinela" album. I NEVER thought I would ever get the chance to purchase a "vegetarian taco" from a taco truck in Echo Park! While I welcome variety and diversity I hope that Echo Park doesn't change too much.

— Jasmine
    February 15, 2010 at 8:23 p.m.

I have been living in Echo Park for the last 13 years. I moved here when I was 15 and love it. There is so much history if you look it up. From Charlie Chaplin's movie studios to the famous trolley tunnel that now is not visible due to a new fancy building. Echo Park is a great place for my children who were born here too and go to a close by elementary school. We walk to Echo Park Lake and feed the ducks, celebrate birthdays there and watch the fireworks when the Dodgers play from the balcony of our home. There are some areas not safe but in this time and age there is no place that is safe anymore. You just have to be careful. And yes, you can walk to the dodgers stadium to go see a game even now!! The DASH has been very convinient in this town. I remember I had to walk to school or even run to get there on time. It was a long walk!! My children love trick-o-treating over by the beautiful Victorian houses and I tell them stories of how long these houses have been here.I love this place and so do my kids. I don't see myself moving from here anytime soon. This is home!

— Veronica
    January 16, 2010 at 7:34 p.m.

My husband was born in Echo Park at what used to be Queen of Angels Hospital. Both my sons were born and raised in echo Park. I have been living here for a bit over ten yrs, still pay almost nothing for rent. I couldnt see myself living anywhere else. I have heard stories from back in the days, they sound like stories straight out of a movie. when i first moved here i sure heard some gun shots every now and then. I saw some people move out and new faces move in. We lost some of echo park and we gained some new echo park. its located exactly where I want to be. I feel right at home. Echo park is my home for good. "Echo Parque"

— kat
    January 3, 2010 at 4:24 p.m.

I have lived in Echo Park since 2002 and I love it. I am a 30-something white female who grew up in a sheltered community in the mid-west but I feel so much more at home in Echo Park. The diversity, history, architecture, views and location are great. The people are warm. I walk to Dodgers games, stroll around the neighborhood at night by myself all the time, take buses, shop in local stores and have never had ONE problem. Well actually I did get egged walking on Sunset once, but my dry cleaner fixed it. Sure it is a city and you always need to be careful but I feel really safe and at home here.

— Patty
    October 18, 2009 at 9:55 p.m.

I was born and raised in Echo Park, 1960-1972. I have the most wonderful memories playing on our street and exploring our neighbors yard. Climbing the "paper" trees. Picking avocados, walnuts, oranges, flowers, etc. After school @ "St. Teresa of Avila" on Fargo st, we would walk to the top of Fargo and be able to see Silver Lake!

Summers take the bus to Santa Monica beach and boogie board allday with my big sis while listening to our transitor radio, dig for sandcrabs....Or take the bus to Griffith Park and swim. I remember it a treat to go to Pioneer market and get the "bucket in the sky" fried chicken. Tommy's burgers and "Barragans" mexican restuarant. My childhood friends family owns it! Everyday was an adventure even if it was just on our block, because our neighbors let us kids play in their backyards! Lots of gang activity even back then, but only the great memories stayed in my heart and soul. Love you Echo Park! From Denver Colorado.

— Priscella
    October 12, 2009 at 8:59 p.m.

My great grandmother bought a house here, on Kensington Ave, in the 50s and my grandmother and her kids, which included my dad, grew up here through the 70s. I've heard some war stories about the level wantonness and wildness exhibited by many in Echo Park, whether through gangs or the simple fact that it was the 70s. But I can tell you this, those who claim to have flown kites and walked to Dodger games in pre-00s Echo Park are probably lying in an attempt to display some sort of credibility. Hell, I wouldn't want to walk to a Dodger game from Echo Park even today

— Matt
    October 2, 2009 at 3:38 a.m.

I was born & raised in EP , my family bought there first house early 70s , great place to grow up excellent schools ,The kids on our block use to fly our kites on KiteHill we would swing on it's branches play mud fights slide down the hills , every summer we would build wooden go carts and race down Baxter Street bye the time we where half way down the street the carts would fall apart there goes a tire great fun , I remember HillStreet strangler leaving there 13 victim behind our house on the hill .tours KDAY radio station. Everyone looked out for each other ,however 80& 90s gangs took over renters moved in I moved out . I never gave up on EP . In 1989 I came back home , bought my house this is my home my city my love I LOVE ECHO PARK I will never leave

— Mario
    October 1, 2009 at 7:14 a.m.

Echo Park, continues to feel like home. I was born there in 1966 and spent the following 19 years growing up there. I still spend much of my time there, visiting friends, checking out the new bohemian shops and restaurants, mmmm-Burrito King.

I saw the transformation from home owners to mosty renters, that's when things turned bad. From gangs, drunkards, bums, robberies, break-ins, car thefts, bodies being dredged from the lake on a regular basis; you couldn't help but grow up in fear. Today, it seems things are reverting back to home ownership, and the police are more on top of things.

My fond memories were playing streetball until the sun went down, swimming in the public pools during summer, walking to the stadium for a night game,or to The House of Spirits for candy & soda. Also, watching the old-timers role those wooden balls on the park grass, or climbing the million of stairs while on a neighborhood run.

After high school, I got the hell out of there. I could never imagine raising my own famiy there. It's no wonder that I moved into the mountains over an hour away. Today, however I think it would be kinda cool! Hey, did they have to sell pioneer market? Remember the old Pioneer? I have the layout of the floor in my head, what a treasure.

— Tom
    September 24, 2009 at 7:45 p.m.

I lived in Echo Park and have fond memories. I attended Elysian Heights Elementary School back in 1967 when we first moved to Los Angeles and the experience was wonderful. I now live in Puerto Rico, but still remember the great times when I lived there.

— José Sauri
    September 22, 2009 at 5:57 p.m.

I grew up in the Elysian Heights section of Echo Park. My family moved there when I was 2 in 1985.

I have fond memories growing up there. I remember riding around on bikes with my brothers. The big rope swing just off Cerro Gordo and Vestal. I remember the lady down the street who would let us use the zip line in her backyard. I remember going out on our back porch and watching the fireworks from Dodger Stadium on 4th of July. I remember going down to the lake at Echo Park and feeding the ducks bread with my dad.

There definitely was a gang presence, I recall. I remember hearing gunshots at night and bars on the windows. Our house was broken into a time or two. When people would ask us where we live, we would always say "Elysian Heights" and not "Echo Park". People knew of it as a hotbed of gang activity.

Now I'm grown and live in another state entirely. My parents still live in that same house. Every time I visit home, it's like heaven being there.

The heavy gang influence of the 80ss and 90's has subsided to a large degree and I 've noticed a change in the atmosphere. As others have said, its become more bohemian and has a definite and prominent artistic influence in the community.

For what it's worth, Echo Park has been a great place to grow up and is a great place to live. I plan on moving back there when I come back to LA.

— TS
    September 22, 2009 at 10:50 a.m.

I lived in Echo Park from the time i was in Junior High until about 2006, and i loved it. There's a certain vibe you get walking the streets and going through its shops, i love the look, the people, and the feel of Echo park, for me, it the best place to be. If you havent been to Echo Park, take a walk and discover it for yourself...

— Brian G
    September 17, 2009 at 11:01 a.m.

I grew up in front of EP, though moved out in 2000. It has been amazing and saddening to see the transition and gentrification of one of LA's most dynamic neighborhoods.

— Diego
    August 27, 2009 at 11:27 a.m.

I was born on Douglas St. in the Echo Park District 77 years ago today. I have wonderful memories of that neighborhood--wonderful neighbors, a small grocery store a half block away, a UCLA professor living across the street, a movie director around the corner, a radio station manager a stone's throw away, a WW I veteran who was gassed in Germany fighting for his life on a daily basis, a BIOLA professor and LIFE Bible College professor living in our neighborhood, and the beautiful Victorian homes on Carroll St. just a block away. Those were the days we kids played kick the can and baseball in the street and my brothers rode their coasters on the sidewalks driving the neighbors crazy. But it was a great neighborhood with wonderful neighbors. And it was a safe place to live then. But nothing stays the same. I'm glad I was born in the Echo Park District 77 years ago today.

— Margaret
    August 21, 2009 at 9:13 a.m.

Yikes! I grew up in Eagle Rock in the 70's and going to Echo Park was ALWAYS scary to me...lots of crime, would not live there for anything...

— Joanie
    August 19, 2009 at 2:06 p.m.

I grew up in EP and moved out in '99 and to this day I still drive through my old neighborhood with pride, sadness that I'm not there as well as nostalgia for all of the great memories that I have from such a beautiful place. The area has changed over the years but that's a good thing; change is good, especially if it's for the better of the community. Echo Park is rich in many different ways. From the hills,the views, the victorians to the craftsmens to the people and all of the different languages that you hear. It's a historic community and one that I hold deep in my heart and regard it with great memories.

— Richard
    August 18, 2009 at 4:21 p.m.

Echo Park has always been special to those who have called it home, and I am glad to be among them. From the hip new vintage stores and wine bars to the older generation's taco stands and Asian market, this neighborhood has a mostly harmonious balance of social classes and ethnic groups that gives it true character and charm.

Some older residents aren't fond of the changing demographics, and some newer arrivals are hoping the whitewash will come full-circle, but in reality the perfect blend of people in Echo Park is happening right now; history and creativity and life itself walk the streets, making it an artists' paradise in the heart of a proud and vibrant community.

I feel this way about my neighborhood because it is genuinely the only part of Los Angeles I have ever lived in where your neighbors will talk to you on the street, in the park, at the market, and in any language. It has its share of problems - no rose-colored glasses here - but it is a fantastic place and I love it.

— Tommy Pedrini
    August 18, 2009 at 11:01 a.m.

I've lived in Echo Park on and off since 1965. I've lived in other parts of L.A., California, and other countries, but this is home. From crazy Landa St. to the Colton Street pool, from Park Drive to Benton Way, the hills, the views, the lake, and the crazy mix of ethnicities, interests, incomes -- all perfumed by the dusk of eucalyptus trees -- Echo Park demonstrates its unique diversity and urban charm. Where but Echo Park can your view of the tallest building west of the Mississippi be interrupted by the flight of a great blue heron?

— Lawrence Tripp
    August 17, 2009 at 6:46 a.m.

I've lived in Echo Park since 1977. The neighborhood goes through cycles. The present is definitely a good cycle. I love it so much that I may possibly suffer from agoraphobia when I leave it for short periods. Therefore, I have decided to live and die in my 900 sq. ft. 1922 bungalow on Clinton St. I've told my wife to shake my ashes every Friday night. YEAH BABY!!!

— Cesar Guzman
    August 16, 2009 at 9:37 p.m.

******* NO 710 FREEWAY TUNNEL *******

A 710 -Coalition Meeting will be held on

Saturday, August 29th at 10:30a.m. at 3750 N. Verdugo Road, Glassel Park CA 90065 (Glassel Park Community Center)

The community is concerned with the effects the proposed 710 freeway extension will have on the comunities of North-East Los Angeles- (El Sereno , Cypress Park, Mt Washington, Glasell Park, Montecito Heights, Lincoln Heights, Highland Park, Eagle Rock, Eoch Park) and the adjacent cities- Glendale, La Canada Flintridge, South Pasadena, Pasadena

Visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stopthe710/ for more information and upcoming events.

— rafael
    August 13, 2009 at 4:12 p.m.

Growing up in Echo Park was a amazing experience in the late 70's-90's. I moved out of the area after my first born. I do visit often my old community and have seen a lot of new changes. I was told by an old timer playing dominos at the boat house, that Echo Park was given the name because back in the old days you can hear voices echo through the Glendale Blvd. corridor.

— Manolo
    July 5, 2009 at 9:20 p.m.

UHHHHMMMM, 12 years ago when I bought mu house it was in Silverlake. Now u decided to place it in Echo Park? I do not think so, I lived in Echo Park for 22 years and Coronado Terrace or St. is not Echo Park. Once you hit 7-11 on Sunset that's where Echo Park begins. I wonder who re-drew these lines. Most of the comments I had read where based on the fact that u started seeing more minorities and the houses where not Silverlake standard after you crossed Silverlake Blvd. by people that I must say most self declared they had not lived here for that long. I did not think you would take those people's racist comments serious! I am VERY disappointed and so are ALL my neighbors!!!

— Paula
    June 19, 2009 at 12:04 a.m.

Ive live in Echo Park all my life and I love my neighborhood. I agree with the neighborhood borders on this map. Echo Park is pretty big. I appreciate what you have done here. You should also put where the center of the neighborhoods are at. That would be nice to know.

— Creek1
    June 8, 2009 at 1:16 p.m.

My family has lived in Echo Park for three generations now and we have seen it change a lot. My family welcomes the change and the people that have moved into the area and wish to call it home. I feel the Echo Park's potential is still yet to be realized. The community needs more density to make it more walkable and better public transit needs to be run through the neighborhood. If these two things were to happen Echo Park could be the premiere neighborhood to live in.

— Paul
    June 4, 2009 at 10:51 p.m.

A place to leave unless you are prepared to live in a state of siege with car alarms going off at night, your mail stolen by neighbors who live 6+ in a one bedroom apartment, broad daylight home break ins and the occasional police helicopter spotlighting your backyard.

Low rent, and living near to downtown LA somewhat make up for the problems though.

— Juan
    June 3, 2009 at 2:05 p.m.

I could be mis-remembering your last map, but it seems like you removed Solano Canyon/Elysian Park from EP.

This does seem odd. Though Solano Canyon is definitely "it's own thing" there is no commercial district and thus it is not a self-sufficient neighborhood. And since Elysian Park is only a park, it can't be the basis of it's own neighborhood either.

In general though, I love your work here.

— xtine
    June 3, 2009 at 1:20 p.m.

I've lived here 15 years, and seen a lot of change in that time, but I love the mix of people. Great neighborhood to walk in, between the hills, the people, and the views.

— Susan Biddlecomb
    June 3, 2009 at 11:53 a.m.

Im glad to see that you put Laveta Terrace south of Temple back where it belongs....in Echo Park!!

— Lopez,S.
    June 3, 2009 at 11:48 a.m.

I never felt truly at home in LA until I discovered Echo Park.

— Beth Zeigler
    June 3, 2009 at 11:04 a.m.

Echo Park is a community that has experienced transformation over the past decade or so. It has traditionally been an immigrant enclave, but has recently attracted new development, including new apartment buildings, restaurants, bars and other small busiensses that are appealing to young bohemian types. It's a cool neighborhood that I think will continue to transform, especially since it is so close to jobs and entertainment(downtown LA, Hollywood, Burbank).

— Edi Sant
    June 3, 2009 at 9:49 a.m.

Echo Park

is a neighborhood in the city of Los Angeles in the Central L.A. region of Los Angeles County. It contains Angelino Heights and Elysian Heights.
    The neighboring communities are Chinatown, Downtown, Elysian Park, Elysian Valley, Glassell Park, Silver Lake and Westlake.

Echo Park is one of the 272 neighborhoods in Mapping L.A., The Times’ resource for crime, neighborhoods, demographics and schools.