MAPPING L.A. > South L.A.

Florence

Tell us what Florence means to you

Southern Los Angeles isn't as bad people say it is. Most of the people that are living here are trying to make a living to provide for their and they have disadvantages because they didn't have the chance to go to school because they immigrated here. Ceartain Individuals give the city a horrible reputation as a person that has been growing up in this city it's not bad here. Sure there is going to be a couple problems here and there but this is a good city to grow up in at least in my opinion.

— Manuel Ocampo
October 29, 2012 at 2:51 p.m.

Lived here a significant amount of time, grew up in this section of the city. Although it gets a bad rep because of a few mislead individuals that taint its Image. This section that is called Florence is primarily filled by hardworking well meaning people full of hopes and dreams. I have had the pleasure of going back to visit, and I have recognized improvement. But many things need to continue to progress, especially community involvement in building a greater infrastructure, especially in forming better schools and curriculum for our Youth, an educated Youth is what we need so this part of the community can continue to progress. All best wishes for Florence.

— Former Community Member
March 16, 2012 at 10:34 a.m.

Florence is insane man some guy got shot today on the head..

— Billy Jacobs
September 16, 2011 at 10:49 a.m.

I've lived here all my life and it's not as bad as the media portrays it. Most of the population are decent workers trying to make a living.

—  90003
August 16, 2011 at 12:27 a.m.

There are too many gangs, too many child molesters in the neighborhood who are residing too close to schools. schools are failing our children due to poor programs . My grand son went to Russell Elem. and when he move to Eastville, he had to catch up with the 1st graders out there. they were already reading fluently, and writing stories like my neice was taught in the forth grade. Their schools make sure parents get their child to school on time or they have a parents conference. Parents are told if child is still late then the police will get involved and the child will be removed from the house and put in foster care. So you know there are no tardies in their school system. I just believe if we didn't have the gang problem removing the retaliation to teachers and the fear they have, along with the choice to have prayer in school with parents permission and thos who are against it their child will be in the library during that time maybe we can educate and get children who are more respectful and disciplined. our schools need to be able to run the school just like the charter schools can. charter schools have more power and in return the school system will eventually be torn down and completely non-existent. Who ever is pushing for charter school is bent on the school system becoming instinct and owned and ran by private owners. They are using minority schools are under staffed, with outdated books and programs and blame it on the teachers instead of the superintendent. He's spending millions to build one school.

that money could have given better programs and books to all the schools in south central and have some change left over. Instead of tearing down the school system, get rid of those in charge who aren't doing what is needed for our children. put someone incharge who truly wants our children properly educated and given the proper tools to achieve their greatness

— Kathleen Galloway
March 19, 2011 at 1:45 p.m.

very dangerus area a little boy was shot in the head there is no change in that community "

— rose hills 90032
November 1, 2010 at 11:34 p.m.

Southcentral has been known as an area of thugs and criminals which has been true. But our communities have improvement. Thanks to the police that has fought the crime over the years.

— Byanca
October 22, 2010 at 3:04 p.m.

This is Florence, part of the city of L.A.? Not Florence-Firestone uncorporated area of LA County. This area has improve in the recent years, but still is need of repairs. I hope to see South LA, a vibrant community in the near future. The County park which is next are claim to have it better.

— Jose
September 12, 2010 at 5:41 p.m.

"Doesn't Florence runs all the way to Alameda? I hope, if my question is true, that the LA times corrects the map! "

Doesn't Florence extend to Alameda Ave? I hope, if my basis is true, that the Los Angeles Times takes into consideration the editing of such error.

Yes, Jesus, i do hope they correct what ever error you believe is relevant to this web page. In the meanwhile, you might want to go to back to that old English book you acquired at U.C. Davis and just take a gander and see what steps you can take in correcting your grammar.

It is now apparent to me how someone of your apparent demeanor can get accepted into an accredited school. This goes to prove Los Angeles Public high schools lower the standard for students, rather straight forward teaching for the sake of students intellect.

— Hugh Jorgans
March 8, 2010 at 7:40 p.m.

Mrs. Lackey was my teacher... She was awesome.. Florence Avenue Bruins for life.

— Moises Mejia
February 22, 2010 at 10:14 p.m.

I have lived in the Florence area for over 20 years and am so pleased that the huge improvements to the Florence Mile brought a neighborly charm and warmth I have witnessed only on the westside, now our town Florence is no longer a euphemism for that Italian city, it reflects our own vibrantly rich Spanish heritage, a place we all want to live, work and see our children educated in. Love it keep it coming.

Theresa

— theresa
January 9, 2010 at 6:18 p.m.

I live in the unincorperated area of Los Angeles, Florence-Firestone district. This area has been dramatically improving for the better. I purchased my first home in this area and I am strongly considering staying here for the long haul. All the stores, banks, and the Florence metro station, are within walking distance. Great place to live.

— P. Liberto
January 5, 2010 at 9:11 p.m.

this area is a lot better in recent years,,thank to the century sheriffs station that heavily patrols and arrests florence gangsters.

— sal m
December 28, 2009 at 12:09 a.m.

Doesn't Florence runs all the way to Alameda? I hope, if my question is true, that the LA times corrects the map! I grew up on Central Ave and 75th and attended Edison Middle School and John C. Fremont High School. I then went to UC Davis for 4 years. Growing up I saw what the rest of the residents saw on a daily basis; street fights, drug use, drug trafficking, and all the negative things you see in the "ghetto". But while I was attending UC Davis I truly began to appreciate the beauty of this neighborhood and everytime I would come back to visit I noticed almost every change, from a tree being cut down to new business being set up. I now live in this neighborhood again and there are a lot of positive changes going on; from less gang activity to the building of new schools to the remodeling of Florence Ave and the extention of the Florence public library. I think and hope the city's plans are to connect Florence ave's business corridor to Alameda's recently opened Plaza and shopping center to the famous Pacific BLVD in Hungtinton Park. This development will bring more security to the neighborhood and will give Los Angeles another possible touristic destination! I hope that this neighborhood along with the rest of the "ghetto" neighborhoods turn into prosperous and safe South Los Angeles, or I still call it South Central.

— Jesus Banuelos
December 3, 2009 at 9:03 a.m.

This is my neighborhood. My family has lived there for 20 years. Those neighborhood streets, my neighbors, and schools made me a strong responsible Adult. The problem is that those same things can be brutal most of the time. The only way to balance out a childs growth here is with a strong and united family. Growing up I saw the streets chew up and spit out too many of my friends and family. I am blessed to have survived and learned from all of my experiences.

— Jesus
December 2, 2009 at 12:27 p.m.

Florence Firestone is a unincorporated community that borders Watts and South Gate. We are South of Slauson, West of Alameda, East of Central Ave,and North of 92nd Street.

— Paula Trejo
November 20, 2009 at 1:46 p.m.

I'm well aware that Florence Avenue Elementary School is located in the County of Los Angeles and not in the City of Los Angeles. I was commenting on a neighborhood/area that is in a city (with a lowercase c) called Los Angeles.

— jeanne Lackey
June 27, 2009 at 8:32 a.m.

Florence Ave Elementary School which I attended, is in the County, not the City of Los Angeles. The area from Central Ave to Alameda Street, Slauson to Manchester, used to be called Florence-Firestone area of Los Angeles County. It is not part of the City of Los Angeles, but is an unincorporated area. You'd think a teacher would know that.

— Rich Hostin
June 23, 2009 at 3:53 p.m.

Question: I thought that the Florence area extended to Alameda on the east.

Comment: I attended Florence Ave. Elementary School (K-6) and went back there to teach for 36 years.

— Jeanne Lackey
June 9, 2009 at 8:33 a.m.

Florence

is a neighborhood in the city of Los Angeles in the South L.A. region of Los Angeles County.

Florence is one of the 272 neighborhoods in Mapping L.A., The Times’ resource for crime, neighborhoods, demographics and schools.