MAPPING L.A. > Harbor

Lakewood

Tell us what Lakewood means to you

Diverse, healthy neighborhoods...The Model City of the 50's has succeeded!

— Gene
June 20, 2013 at 4:55 a.m.

I moved here when I was four. I've been a resident of Lakewood since before it was a city. The Times has been snarky about my hometown, calling it 'soulless'. That's because very little happens that sells newspapers. We like it that way!

— Walter
May 14, 2012 at 10:45 a.m.

We moved here over 5 years ago and I just love calling Lakewood my home.

For starters, I'm impress with the extensive Park & Recreations Programs that the entire family can enjoy, easy access to mall & freeways and many parks.

I'm also impress with the city government in so many different levels:

1) Balance budget

2)Quick graffiti removal (less than 24hr service), Tree planting program (my street tree die and they replaced it with 1 month)

3) Many Family events throughout the year (4th of July fireworks, family night outs and etc)

4) Rapid Sherrif responds (house alarm has gone off a couple of times).

My in-laws that reside in San Fernando Valley even notice the difference and are amazed with the many different services that are not availabe at their city.

My only concern are the schools. Lakewood belongs to 3 different school districts. I belong to Long Beach School District and the schools don't have the highest scores.

— Liz
August 12, 2011 at 9:38 a.m.

I've never been so proud to call a city my home. Lakewood is an awesome place to live.

For those with kids, the Parks & Recreation programs are the best I've ever enrolled my girls in. They honestly care about the kids and it is evident in the way they treat them. In general, every city employee I've met has been nothing but professional and genuine. It's a very family-oriented city and the neighbors look out for each other. Love it!

— Renee
June 29, 2011 at 11 a.m.

Lakewood is a great city..... I for one absolutely love living here. It's safe, clean, and the city government seems to actually care about keeping it that way..

I grew up in a not so nice city, and the difference is astounding.. I consider myself lucky to live here.

As John stated, the city is more diverse now then what it used to be but I think that's great. And yes it's true, those moving in are keeping it clean. I know I am.

I am proud to call Lakewood my home.

— Lilia
December 6, 2010 at 8:08 p.m.

lakewood is good, only ifi could live there. i currently live in australia and want to move there with my american wife & 3 kids to work!!! if only?? i work in the mining industry

— lindley fayers
November 11, 2010 at 9:38 a.m.

John couldn't have said it better. Please see his comment.

— Mike
September 30, 2010 at 7:30 a.m.

I have lived in Lakewood nearly 60 years and it is still a good quiet and safe city to raise a family. It has gotten diverse in recent years but those moving in are keeping up the clean-cut image of the city.

The problems of Lakewood mostly rest with its neighbors in that crime is creeping in all around us. The good cities of Bellflower, Norwalk, Paramount and Hawaiian Gardens aren't a crime free as they once were.

— john
August 31, 2010 at 10:19 a.m.

Lakewood

is a city in the Harbor region of Los Angeles County.
This neighborhood includes Unincorporated Lakewood-East in its area and statistics.
The neighboring communities are Bellflower, Cerritos, Hawaiian Gardens, Long Beach and Signal Hill.

Lakewood is one of the 272 neighborhoods in Mapping L.A., The Times’ resource for crime, neighborhoods, demographics and schools.