MAPPING L.A. > Antelope Valley

Palmdale

Tell us what Palmdale means to you

this place has changed for the worse over the years. just very negative on the east side, to much gang members, drug dealers, white supremist, just angry people in general. lots of unreported crime. heard lots of crazy stories, seen lots of negativity, it just drains the life out of you. it could be worse

— Mike
May 27, 2013 at 11:39 a.m.

I been coming to Palmdale to visit since 2005 I finally decided to purchase a 2007 home on the East side in the new are passing 65Th street. i love my home my block neighbors are amazing.

Palmdale has a lot of potential for homeowners as well as business. unfortunately section 8 as well as others give the town a bad rep. i don't seem to understand how hard is it to go to the dump and unload your unwanted furniture. Parents as well as other races could show more involvement in there children's education.

— Diana
August 2, 2012 at 1:23 a.m.

The community has changed a little worse because some people not used to have a nice things and taking care of the neighborhood taking care of raggedy cars on the driveway even a trash cans out on the street five days a week we just don't want nothing nice look at Santa Clarita is all nice and pretty and green

— Jc
May 27, 2012 at 11:35 p.m.

It helps a lot Thanks to you the L. A. Times for letting us know that we we are not living an a safe community as The Fountains advertise, and the local newspapers do not report crimes.

— Francisco Prieto Jr
November 14, 2011 at 8:37 a.m.

Palmdale is probably the only place i will ever consider home enough said :)

— Angelica C.
October 2, 2011 at 9:49 a.m.

I moved to palmdale 5 years ago and bought a brand new home at an affordable price for me n my family. Our community is diverse and well kept. When the economic meltdown came lot of good families left and somewhat decent families moved in. Section 8 has definitely ruined this city. Years b4 I decided to move up here this city looked cleanel n well maintained. Nowadays we see lot of vandalism, section 8 families ruining the city. What happened?. Makes me wanna foreclose my home!

— Jr
June 3, 2011 at 10:01 p.m.

We have lived here for over 15 years and have seen it change, mostly for the better. Just like any city it has its good and not so good areas. The City seems very proactive as does the Sheriff's Department. We have never been the victim of a crime and from what I read the crime rate has continued to decrease over the last several years.

Most of the negative comments I read and hear are from people who have never lived here. I always hear positive feedback from friends and relatives who visit. I get a lot of "this wasn't what I expected".

We are very happy to be residents of Palmdale and have no intentions of leaving unless it's to get out of California completely.

— Greg
April 5, 2011 at 2:51 p.m.

I have lived in the AV for over 20 years and have watched it grow and change. But the one consistent thing I have noticed is that the area has remained friendly. People are always willing to help you. This applies to young and old alike. We have lots of community activities that cater to all ages. Prior to living here I lived in LA and now when I go back I just feel sad to see the crowding and traffic. I am happy to be a resident of the Antelope Valley.

— Amanda
April 2, 2011 at 9:23 a.m.

My cousin lives in Palmdale, we visited from Australia last year and found the place to have a community feeling you don't see in othre places in LA.

— George Goodman
February 7, 2011 at 3:40 p.m.

In addition to the affordable housing, low crime rate, and lack of traffic, the very best thing about Palmdale are the people. Almost everyone is involved in civic activity, whether it be in service clubs or fundraising for charity. A couple of years ago, when the economy first went down, I heard the local National Guard unit needed Christmas gifts for the families of deployed soldiers. I sent out a mass email and within hours donations poured in. When major fires force evacuations people open their homes to those in need. It's a community where people take care of each other and because of this I never want to live anywhere else.

— Patricia K. Shaw
January 24, 2011 at 8:48 p.m.

We moved here about a year ago. It's a very divided city--there are subdivisions with 5 bedroom houses and 3 car garages, but on the other side of town there are run-down apartment buildings. The parks program has a lot of free/low-cost classes & activities, the library is better than I expected, and it really does seem like there is a certain amount of community involvement.

It's a fairly young community---lots of teenagers and young families w/ babies.

Shopping has good points and bad points--big box stores are located near each other, which is convenient, but I feel like there isn't much variety.

It is far more affordable than most of LA proper. The mortgage payment on our house is far less than what we'd pay for a (small) apartment in the San Fernando Valley. The downside is that there aren't many native jobs---it's very much a bedroom community.

— Elizabeth
November 3, 2010 at 8:59 a.m.

Used to be home. Not anymore.

Left 20 years ago. Visited last year.

Looks like Tijuana and apparently has a much crime.

— Ron
September 30, 2010 at 3:18 a.m.

Palmdale

is a city in the Antelope Valley region of Los Angeles County.
This neighborhood includes Unincorporated Palmdale in its area and statistics.

Palmdale is one of the 272 neighborhoods in Mapping L.A., The Times’ resource for crime, neighborhoods, demographics and schools.