MAPPING L.A. > San Fernando Valley

Porter Ranch

Tell us what Porter Ranch means to you

Overall: Porter Ranch is still a good place to live in the Greater Los Angeles. However, recent developments and changes are making Porter Ranch part of the Greater Los Angeles. I prefer to live in suburbia because it is quiet and outskirted away from the city and bigger communities. Recent changes and development no longer allow Porter Ranch to offer that. Within ten years, many people will move out, leaving Porter Ranch to lose its value that it originally had.

And to the dearest Gated Community estate: please stop developing. You are ruining the wildlife here in porter ranch. this leads to wildlife animals to find a way to live with humans. I mean that raccoons will be eating dog food, coyotes will be eating pets, etc. Please stop. You are expanding the community of Porter Ranch, changing what our Suburban neighborhood use to offer. If you continue to develop, the value will be lost. Your investment will be lost. Please stop. you are ruining our neighborhood. Sure currently the housing is great and worth alot. However, when you have too much supply to meet the demand, the value drops. stop the development, keep your value. You shouldve stopped after the early 2000s gated communities were built. the new ones are ruining our neighborhood. Please consider this as a plea.

— kim89
May 7, 2012 at 3:45 a.m.

Town Center: Please get rid of Walmart. Move it down in Granada Hills Town Center. Walmart is ruining our community. I know that it was there to serve the community. However, the Porter Ranch walmart is disgusting today, that many Porter Ranch people no longer shop there. I still go time to time when I need something quickly, but most of the time, I would go elsewhere it is clean.

Northridge Mall: it is no longer what it is. Its not because of the teenagers there, but because simply the mall is outdated. I know currently that Northridge Mall is going under remodeling projects. However, I feel that there needs to be a bigger renovation for it to attract people as it has once done so. I no longer go there but go to: Beverly Center, Rodeo Drive, Topanga Mall, Sherman Oaks, etc. The malls design is outdated and no longer is able to attract people to it. Furthermore, there is lack of security in the Northridge Mall. Doubling the security may give the appearance that the mall is better. Secondly, the mall should be expanded. Borders closed up, that building can serve more shops and businesses. I feel that the mall is small and limited to the stores it can serve to the community.

After the current renovation project is done, there should be a feed back survey done please.

My thoughts on the comments here:

Porter Ranch is a great community. Not all are obnoxious as people say we are. I lived here and grew up here. I am more ashamed of my neighborhood for it has changed over the course of time. It is no longer the far unreached suburban neighborhood it once has been. Secondly, there are other unneeded people doing unneeded things. That is young adults/teenagers screaming in the middle of the night across the street while they are smoking weed and such.

Northridge mall isn't ghetto because of teenagers. Teenagers are always at the mall. All people at the mall are not from Porter Ranch. Most Porter Ranchers tend to go to other malls since Northridge Mall attracts people that are not from Porter Ranch. It seems that ethnicity and social class plays into this barrier.

Public schools near and in Porter Ranch is getting better than ever. I am planning to head into education as my career and I have visited the old schools in Porter Ranch. Castlebay is still good as ever, Granada Hills Charter High School improved ten times as much as when I attended (Graduated in 2008), and Frost has improved since when I attended (I believe Frost can improve more and will need more improvement).

Town Center: Please move out walmart. No longer is Walmart supporting our community as it once had when it first moved in, but now it is ruining our neighborhood. Please have higher end restaurants, businesses, and stores in the Town Center. that would serve our community and keep our community as it once had.

— kim89
May 7, 2012 at 3:44 a.m.

I moved to Porter Ranch in the early 90s. Growing up, I have seen changes to our suburban neighborhood. With more development in the gated housing, with the Porter Ranch town center, Porter Ranch community grew and it has changed over time.

I am not too fond of the growth of Porter Ranch. Fifteen years ago, my neighborhood was pretty quiet at night. Today, there are young adults/teenagers across my street smoking weed, loud, and doing reckless things. Porter Ranch was known for its quiet neighborhood. that was the main attraction that it had to offer to its residents. However, with its recent development of new homes and the town center, it now attracts people from other areas. I understand that we are lucky to have new homes and the town center, but it no longer has that appeal that kept the people happy. The people that recently moved in to Porter Ranch are new to what Porter Ranch stood for. I mean half the people do not know that the park was called E.T. Park or that the view on Reeseda is called Braemore view.

I like Porter Ranch. It has been my home since the early 90s. I was privileged to go to Castlebay Lane Elementary school, Robert Frost Middle School, and Granada Hills Charter High School. However, with the recent development in Porter Ranch, many older Porter Ranch residents have moved out. I believe I will be doing so as well, sadly.

I remember when real estates were developing the gated communities, many Porter Ranchers were against it. However, with lobbyist, the real estates were successful. It is such a shame.

Here is my self thought: the original Porter Ranch community that made it great is the single family housing that was not part of the gated community. These homes made Porter Ranch the place it is today. For those people that consider Porter Ranch only the gated community, please look up Porter Ranch history. And to those recently moved in gated community people, please stop being obnoxious about your home, you make the rest of Porter Ranchers look bad and pretentious. Your home only has its current value thanks to us, non gated single family housing people that made Porter Ranch the value it is today.

— Kim89
May 7, 2012 at 3:43 a.m.

i've lived in porter ranch for 17 years, we need some nice wine bars & high end restuarants.please ,we have to drive to the west side to have a nice dinner

— maritza
February 17, 2012 at 10:28 a.m.

i've been living in porter ranch for ten years its a nice quiet place everyone minds their own bussines and the houses are nice. But you people gota relax thinking it beverly hills or some rich neighborhood because its not haha. And to the person talking smack about mexicans as uneducated as some of my people are you white people also have your white trash and illiterate inbred whites and so on every race has their bad people ;) and the walmart is great. To you people dropping off kids at the northridge sorry but your kids are snobs that need discipline from you their parents!

— crystal
October 31, 2011 at 5:38 p.m.

Hi Everyone,

I moved from Northridge/Granda Hills after graduating from UCLA to Columbus, Ohio to pursue a graduate degree.

I am very familiar with the area since the early 1980's and see the Mall as being at risk. However I do not attribute it PR kids. There are other neighborhoods that are contributing to the fall.

Porter Ranch is still thriving over the past 20 to 30 years. However, it too is at risk. With the real estate markets and labor markets have their challenges I hope PR continues to thrive for individuals who are seeking the true suburban lifestyles.

As for schooling though, in order to provide great education in this area the only option to me is Private Schooling. I graduate from Granada Hills High School back in 1982 and see it going downhill. I even saw it on NBC Nightly News about 10 years that it was drug infested and had affliations with gangs.

Good Luck PR in future and success!

— Brother of Resident In PR
September 14, 2011 at 9:36 a.m.

Lived here a year and a half. It is one of the last nice places in the northwest section of the valley. Good schools, homeowners take pride and maintain their homes and yards. Downsides are the high winds, and the WalMart in the Town Center which attracts the wrong crowd. Overall it is a desirable area.

— Scott
August 30, 2011 at 9:34 a.m.

I live around reseda and chatsworth 91325 I like that its called Porter Ranch sounds fancy and all close to the 118 and its quiet and everyone minds their own business lol

— 87rsrjcar
May 15, 2011 at 12:03 p.m.

Born in Reseda, live in Reseda, work in Reseda, love Reseda, will die in Reseda, and be buried in Porter Ranch.

LOL!

— Henry
March 2, 2011 at 10:49 a.m.

Map looks wrong. I lived by intersection of Chatsworth and Reseda from 1960 to early 1980s. We never considered that to be Porter Ranch. Re: comments on Northridge Mall. We were probably considered obnoxious back in the early 70s lol but now look down at those "punk" kids.

Dan L. in San Francisco

— Dan Landis
December 24, 2010 at 2:29 p.m.

Lorena (April 13, 2010):

I couldn't agree with you more.

While I will go to Northridge Fashion Center on my lunch hours during the week (I live in Porter Ranch and work in Chatsworth), I don't go there in the evenings or on weekends unless I absolutely have to.

I have run into my share of obnoxious little punk teenagers at the mall and I wonder why their parents didn't teach them any manners.

The only consolation I take is that many of these stupid punks will end up learning a lot of lessons in life the hard way because of their rotten attitudes. It will serve them right because they are a bunch of losers.

— Chuck Wavy Dean
November 4, 2010 at 10:03 a.m.

Porter Ranch is actually the zip code 91326 and not defined as north of Rinaldi. For those who don't know Porter Ranch was established in some earlier tracts south of Rinaldi in the late 1950's!

— Sassy
October 14, 2010 at 5:50 p.m.

Its funny cause Porter Ranch is soooo Rich compared to Van NUys North Hills Pacioma and others, where in some parts they look like compton and Porter Ranch looks like Beverly Hills

— sksk
August 30, 2010 at 1:02 p.m.

I agree with a lot of the comments said here. I do not set foot on any place that has a bunch of kids. It scares away all my adult friends too. In all honesty, it is a little sad that they do not have a home to play at on Fri. or Sat. night. All my kids play at our house in Porter Ranch. We have bands and a lot of other things. I am not sure why you would want your kid at a mall at any time without their parent. My advice is, because you are really keeping the people with cash away from the mall, that you kids don't go to any mall. Is their a reason you can't find a friends home to go to? No one wants you there as evident in all these comments. Time after time the comments seem to be saying, go home. I would look into that. GO HOME. PLEASE! No one likes you at the mall and no one wants you there. You are bugging all of us adults and your parents should be ashamed. We make all the money and spend it and do not want to be bothered with you who spend almost nothing compared to us! Please, find a way to wean yourself away from malls.

— Lorena Ochoa
April 13, 2010 at 7:39 p.m.

Snob....you are right. We get what we pay for.

— Jose Echague Cruz
April 10, 2010 at 4:45 p.m.

I love this guy complaining about parents dropping their kids off at the mall. Bottom line, Mr. Hahn, maybe you should have gone to college, gotten a degree, and maybe a job that doesn't involve selling t-shirts, video games, or ice cream to teenagers. Hilarious. You can thank yourself for the people you put up with.

And for the record, anyone who even sets foot in that mall, is either Mexican or an idiot. Same with WalMart. The person who thought it would be a good idea to put a WalMart in Porter Ranch, should be punched in the mouth.

I have 2 toddlers. Neither of which will be allowed in WalMart or the Northridge Mall. Not without having their vaccinations first.

I moved into a gated community in Porter Ranch, to protect me from the disrespectful pieces of poop that live in the Valley and break into cars and graffiti up people's block walls. Congratulations to those of you who paid $10k less on your property. Have fun driving by your neighbor's house. You know, the guy who hasn't mowed his lawn since 1987 when he moved in, or moved his '73 Camaro off his lawn since before your oldest child was born. I'm so jealous. And it's more like $100k difference, not $10k. You're obviously not in real estate.

— Porter Ranch Conservative Snob
March 20, 2010 at 11:13 p.m.

The outline of the boundary map is incorrect.

— Bob Trankin
January 6, 2010 at 5:14 p.m.

Sue, you are right. There are a lot of neighborhoods that abut the mall and most kids do 'border on being rude.' Not all the kids are from Porter Ranch....

There are a lot though. I work at the movie theater at the box office and card almost every kid. Even if it is a P.G. film, I pretty much have to see most kids I.D.s that look under Eighteen. A lot of the kids buying tickets have I.D.s that say 'Porter Ranch.' They are no more rude then any other kid at the mall. But....

I do not know what to say beyond the fact that no parents should be dropping off their kid for 5 hours at night from any neighborhood!

I am sort of surprised at peoples reactions. A lot the responses are a version of ,'not my kid.' 'Not from my neighborhood.'

Lets just make the leap of faith that someones kids are at the mall and some are yours, can anyone tell me why they are there? Because it has 'always been' is not a great answer. (Tesla and Beta was going to rule the world at one time too.)

I know, no one from Porter Ranch drops off their kid at the mall. I also believe that the 'Wig' party will come back, C.S.U.N.will become a U.C this year and the History channel needs to have more stuff on Hitler.... have fun in La La land.

— Mr. Hahn
November 17, 2009 at 1:12 p.m.

Who cares, parents that drop their kids off at the mall are idiots. How complicated is that?

— Dink Stacatto
November 12, 2009 at 1:24 a.m.

I cant believe the argument are about kids! The mall has always had and always will have rude and disobedient kids....if you are upset with that type of work environment - then its time to move on to bigger and better things. Porter Ranch and its residents are not the problem...its your outlook.

— Bill Long
November 9, 2009 at 4:55 p.m.

Why does everybody assume that it is only Porter Ranch kids that are rude? Sure they go to the Northridge mall and say the most bigoted things and are a blight to any community. (No one really gets why they are left alone all night there. They do not go to the Topanga mall or the Fallbrook Mall.) Then, I realized, one day, its not the kids problem or Northridge either. It's not that Northridge lets all the kids from other places come to their mall, who can stop them? There are hundreds every Friday night. It would take thousands of dollars and many more police to put a dent in the problem. Its the parents. That's were these kids get it. Its these self involved parents that act like that too. Have you met them? Not ALL of them, but a lot. They are simply out of touch with their kids and just as snotty and acerbic to the point of grinding on your last nerve until you feel like blurting out at them, 'Take some action. No other community in the valley allows you to use their mall as a babysitter, why should we? You are not only myopic but obtuse and need to just go home. PLEASE !' They will argue with you in a second about anything. First they will deny that they do it, then its not ALL of them and finally, 'its just how things are done.' ( The chorus of apathy rises in a community that makes over six figures.) Some of the people on this blog have already shown the great and ever retracting world of empirical reasoning. It is just sad. I do not think we can say that Porter Ranch kids are snotty, without saying that a lot if not most of their parents are.

p.s.

If you don't like being talked about, don't do things like drop your kids off in another city and expect people to be nice and polite as your kids are berating everyone and everything they find. Then you have the audacity to do the same when you pick them up. I suggest, staying in your neighborhood or please, stop opening your mouth at every chance. It not only must get drafty but sometimes its just best to say,'Yea we use other peoples neighborhoods for babysitting and we are sorry.' Try it some time. It feels good.......... 'I am sorry for using your cities mall for babysitting. We have all the money in the world for babysitting, but just want the house for ourselves tonight and are tired of going out somewhere and just really hate our kids and are simply bad parents when it comes down to it. We know how to make money, but the rest is a bit of a wash. We have no idea what to do, so this is what we came up with. We drop our kid off and you handle them, K? Our taxes pay for this place so it is sort of like you owe us, right?'

I know, they really do not make any sense, but it is a start. Lest do it all together...'I am sorry....

— Bob Long
November 5, 2009 at 2:49 a.m.

I have lived in Porter Ranch for 22 years and am very happy there. The only negatives are the wind and the hot summers, but, hey, that's why you have air conditioning.

Being near the 118 freeway is very convenient.

I am surprised that the median family income is the 4th highest in the city, ahead of even Brentwood. But I attribute that to the fact that Porter Ranch has a very low percentage of rental units vs. Brentwood.

— Chuck Wavy Dean
October 21, 2009 at 9:58 a.m.

Whatever. All kids, some kids, who cares? Everybody knows the kids that mostly are dropped off at the Mall are from P.R. Ask anyone. I really do not get it because you can afford babysitting. I would be ashamed. What a trashy thing to do.

— John Tatroe
October 18, 2009 at 4:43 a.m.

My question to whomever is assuming this information, but how do you know that all the these "rude" kids come from Porter Ranch?? You do realize that there are quite a few neighborhoods that border the mall, don't you? Have you asked them where they live or are you making the call yourself without having the right facts to back up what you are saying? From what I can tell, most kids now a days border on being rude and disrespectful and it has nothing to do with where they live. Either they were taught by their parents to respect others or they were not taught this. You will find that the more affluent a family is, the more polite and respectful a child is. This is a fact. And any parent that drops their kids off for a mall to babysit should be fined or brought up on child neglect. Get your kids involved in sports, clubs or more important volunteering to those less fortunate or causes that really make a difference. This makes responsible adults and not the current group of misfits that are coming out of schools today thinking that they are owed something when they haven't earned it.

— Sue - just moved to Porter Ranch from out of state
September 28, 2009 at 10:26 a.m.

Ok. I guess some people have some comments about porter ranch kids that are not true to all those kids. The person who said that those kids are disturbing the Northridge mall and what not.. seriously? yes some kids are rude and are not respectful of others, but not ever porter ranch kid is like that. I am one of those kids, and the last time i was at that mall was shopping for a school dinner dance at the end of the school year in june. and i rarely see my friends [besides school] because i spend time with my sisters. so please dont be so rude. Id really appreciate that.

— ")
September 14, 2009 at 9:20 p.m.

Wow.. i live in Porter Ranch and I love it! The Walmart is just great and so is the rest of the shopping center. Im sure that it was once more beautiful to some people but i didnt live in that time and things have improved. Im just saying that i love it!

— Becky
September 14, 2009 at 9:12 p.m.

Why would anyone want to be associated with Porter Ranch?

How's that Walmart working out for you?

— Adam
September 7, 2009 at 5:27 p.m.

I grew up in Northridge near Tampa & Devonshire in the 1960s and 1970s when Porter Ranch was really a ranch -- beautiful green hills, creeks, oak trees. There were no homes north of Devonshire. It's unfortunate that it wasn't made into a county park. And yes, it was and continues to be Northridge.

— Ann Nazarian
September 7, 2009 at 9:53 a.m.

Since moving out of the crap hole near sesnon and tampa - I feel like I'm freed - I wouldn't move back to porter ranch because of 5 reasons-

1. too windy

2. houses all look the same

3. even new S&S floorplans are inefficient and old

4. sometimes 10-20 minutes to get home from the 118 fwy -

5. unfriendly environment to live in

— joey wiesman
September 1, 2009 at 10:49 a.m.

My family moved to Porter Ranch (north of Rinaldi) beginning in 1978. I always considered the two statues on Devonshire the boundary of Porter Ranch. When they carved the 118 fwy through the center of it in the 80's, only then did it seem like two different neighborhoods. It'll always all be Northridge to me though.

— Mike M.
August 26, 2009 at 9:51 p.m.

The boundries as drawn by the Times for Porter Ranch indeed show what has always been thought of as Porter Ranch.

Ask any real estate agent and look at the real estate ads on the internet -- any houses north of Devonshire are always described as being in Porter Ranch.

— Chuck Wavy Dean
August 25, 2009 at 12:43 p.m.

The thing about Porter Ranch is that you keep dumping your kids off on Northridge at the mall. I work there and I am really amazed at the amount of kids from P.R.on Friday nights. ( How do I know, my ex lives in P.R. and we know most of you parents and your kids.)

Is there some sort of obsession you have with abandoning your kids on other neighborhoods for Six hours why they run around, yell and scream, demean us at our place of work, throw things, spit, light fires, debate store workers about their 'right' to be there for Four hours and only purchase a Pizza and a movie, tell shop owners that kids support the mall and to go 'back to cleaning trash cans for a living' and scare off potential customers? One of your children informed me that without him and the rest of his Porter Ranch friends, the mall would be bankrupt. THE MALL IS BANKRUPT!! They can't sell the place because you keep dropping off your kid and no one will buy it. Everyone thinks its a 'Kids Mall.'

Before you say, no, not my kid, think about this. What do you think would happen if you dropped off one Hundred little kids in one place without a single adult present for Five hours at night? If you tell me they are all 'nice' kids, come to the mall on Friday night and then see what you think. I do not care if they have no other place to go. That is not the malls problem. See, you had your kids. They are yours, not the malls. Therefore, you take care of them, O.K.?

We, in Northridge would like you to take all those P.R. kids that you think are soo nice and soo safe for your kid to hang out with all night without you or another adult and disturb all the people that work here and have them over to YOUR house. See how you like that. The mall is not a babysitter.

— Mr. Hahn
August 25, 2009 at 5:41 a.m.

Porter Ranch means snobs, snoots, conservatives who want to pay tens to hundreds thousands more for a piece of property identical to what they could have four blocks away for tens or hundreds of thousands less. There's no charm, there's no significant topographical features, there's no nothing except a commune for the snobs who want to pretend they're too good for Beverly Hills.

— Mary
August 24, 2009 at 4:13 a.m.

Thank You, for getting the Porter Ranch area properly mapped. When the homes in the area of the map South of Rinaldi were built they were built in Porter Ranch it wasn't for many years later that new developments North of Rinaldi came along.

Phil Kaplan and Peter have it right most of the commentors appear to be propagating misinformation.

— Bill
August 18, 2009 at 9:31 a.m.

Does it really matter what the area is called? Those above the 118 want the 'exclusivity' and those below, i don't believe, really care. It's all about real estate prices, nothing more.

— Reggie
August 14, 2009 at 12:50 a.m.

Your map is wrong. True, 91326 is known to the Postal Service as Porter Ranch. But to those of us who live here, the southern border of Porter Ranch is the Ronald Reagan 118 Freeway. The neighborhoods below, even though assigned to Zip code 91326, are in Northridge.

— Hal Bass
August 12, 2009 at 9:43 p.m.

S&S the main builder of homes west of Tampa Blvd seems to believe that Porter Ranch goes beyond Porter Ranch Drive (Winnetka Ave.) when it is north of the 118 fwy. Your map says otherwise. Fact in point, does the Porter Ranch Center with Porter Ranch Drive fall within the map? They named a street as Porter Ranch Drive (Winnetka) which is not on the map as being part of Porter Ranch. They claim it is the center part of Porter Ranch which is not correct according to the map. In my opinion Porter Ranch Drive is Chatsworth. So it is an incorrect but neatly done promotional trick to say it is all Porter Ranch.

Originally 40 years ago there were two monuments depicting a horseman on a horse at Devonshire Street-one at Tunney and the other at Tampa, I believe. They represented the original "gateway" to Porter Ranch. Nowadays, Porter Ranch is deemed to be north of 118 fwy but your map shows correctly that Melvin Avenue north of Devonshire was the SE corner of Porter Ranch. If there were no map changes in the last 40 years then the map shown is correct.

I strongly urge that the area be formally recognized as separate and apart from Northridge for all purposes and that all citizens be aware of the correct boundaries.

There is also significant history associating the Porter Ranch and the founder of the LA Times. Some of it was highlighted with some fictional liberty in a movie done years ago with Jack Nicholson. Also Wm. Mulholland was involved in that scenario.

— Phil Kaplan
June 29, 2009 at 9:50 a.m.

It's all about Real Estate Pricing.

Porter Ranch just makes it sound more exclusive and bumps up home prices.

I admit, I like telling people I live in porter ranch rather than northridge. (Mason north of Rinaldi)

It's just like west hills & canoga park.

— Johnathan
June 27, 2009 at 10:37 a.m.

Peter - You get your mail because the post office delivers based on the zip code, not the name of the community.

Community names in Los Angeles - other than that of the City itself - essentially stem from tradition or custom, although the Neighborhood Councils' names increasingly give something of an "official" imprimatur; as an example, the neighborhoods in questions are represented by the Northridge West NC, not the Porter Ranch NC.

As another example, Northridge Little League is NORTH of Devonshire and has been since the 1960s - it is not in Porter Ranch.

Given that the Times is run by people who, for the most part, are not from California, much less Los Angeles, it is not really suprising...

— brad smith
June 18, 2009 at 10:16 a.m.

I live off Reseda/Chatsworth, south of the 118 and receive mail that says "Porter Ranch".

— Peter
June 17, 2009 at 8:59 a.m.

I concur with Jim and Eric...Porter Ranch is considered the area NORTH of the 118...when Porter Ranch was developed in the 1970's, it was never considered to be the area south of Renaldi or the 118 (which was built between 1968 and 1979). That has always been considered Northridge. If you check an address north of Renaldi with the USPS, it is "Porter Ranch". If you check a house on Reseda, say near San Fernando Mission, it comes back as Northridge.

— David Lasher
June 5, 2009 at 9:42 a.m.

I disagree with the above comments, I live south of the freeway, but have a 91326 zip code and am serviced by the Porter Ranch post office.

— Jim
June 3, 2009 at 2:10 p.m.

My parents bought their home in Northridge in 1964, and I lived there for more than two decades; everything south of Rinaldi (just north of the 118) is Northridge, not Porter Ranch, and has been since the post office opened decades ago. The Times is wrong yet again.

— brad smith
June 3, 2009 at 12:11 p.m.

I don't live in Porter Ranch. This map is wrong. Porter Ranch is solely north of the 118. My neighborhood council is still "Northridge West."

— Eric
June 3, 2009 at 11:14 a.m.

Porter Ranch

is a neighborhood in the city of Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley region of Los Angeles County.

Porter Ranch is one of the 272 neighborhoods in Mapping L.A., The Times’ resource for crime, neighborhoods, demographics and schools.