MAPPING L.A. > South L.A.

South Park

Tell us what South Park means to you

Police needs to be tougher with the gang members and clean up all the drug dealers. Wait, My be they are getting their share.

— US citizen
    July 9, 2012 at 11:33 a.m.

man grew up here since i was born, went to main street elementary, and LA academy now going to the new high school there i was becoming good but its going downhill again hope it doesn't get that bad

— roger
    April 23, 2012 at 8 p.m.

I remember when the park was full of trash and bums, but the park looks SO much better now. However, lately I've seen a "resurgence", hopefully it won't get bad again. I think, like most of Los Angeles the crime has lessened, this area isn't as eerie as I remember in my youth.

"What makes this a good place to live?" It's extremely cheap.

"What are the downsides? " The education + crime.

Note: The education is mostly blamed on the students and parents, but the school is partially responsible as well.

— Ken
    December 24, 2010 at 3:29 a.m.

hey creep u live in south l.a not east side and u should grow up and teach kids about the dangers of gangs and we all can live in peace"

— rose hills 90032
    November 16, 2010 at 11:17 p.m.

49st And central ( Big EastSide 13 )

— Creepz
    October 12, 2010 at 9:30 a.m.

This area can be turned into a safe community if only our politician and police Dept., would invest the time or actually if they would do their job around this community.

— Lily
    October 8, 2010 at 1:43 p.m.

br52dway gangsta crips run this aria

— martin jackson
    October 7, 2010 at 9:09 a.m.

I was born in Toledo Ohio and moved to 52nd st and Wadsworth st. in 1959. I was in a gang (The Businessmen), Black Panthers, and member of the Malcom X foundation. Back then we fought and had boundries. Had lots of ups and downs but I wouldn't change it because I learned so much about the system and people. I moved back to Ohio in 1972 and was able to look in and see how bad it has gotten. Still love L.A.

— frankie thompson
    May 19, 2010 at 6:46 p.m.

i loved south park! i grew up there and went to school there..i had good memories.people walking down the streets kids playing its so bi-cultural. its the city what do you expect.where i live nobody talks or say hi. at least L.A. has the best spots to eat and has alot of history.thats life every place you live has something to say about it..

— r.h.v.
    May 19, 2010 at 6:43 p.m.

For me growing up in South Park area wasnt all that bad.I grew up in 57 and San Pedro.I remember seeing people fight and get arrested and selling drugs around the corner or even tagging on the walls.When I would visit other places like Arizona,Texas,or Colorado,People would tell me if I been "shot" or "jumped".Nothing bad has really happened to me or to my family.I have many memories there and i wouldn't be happier anywhere else.I got used to living the way I do.I met so many different people and its not always the way movies about South Central make seem like...Like people getting shot or jumped in the middle of the street alot has changed the past 10 years,and in a POSITIVE way!

— Daniel A. Hurtado
    April 9, 2010 at 11:05 a.m.

I moved from DTLA (28th & Hill) to South Park when I was twelve (1982). I can remember seeing blood droplets on the floor, even toe-prints or partial footprints in blood, on my way to our LAUSD Permit With Transfer bus stop on 53rd & Main. My younger brother and I used to follow them around and guess where they stopped. You could see where they began in strange, large spats of blood, or where they ended on the sidewalk, ripped up clothes or a shoe left behind, where maybe an ambulance came, or into a house, where maybe someone got the help they needed. That was a scary and unnerving time in our family life; to feel uncertain about our immediate future. The 1993 riots brought that same shocking uncertainty back.

Today things seem different, though I know the drug and STD statistics are the same or worse in this area. The park this area is named after has seen many improvements and changes. Shane's Inspiration has secured a lovely and accessible playground for all children, and I see more foot patrols within the park.

I am optimistic about the South Park area. Especially with all the newly constructed schools and the new wetlands park taking over the RTD repair and parking lot on 54th and Avalon.

— Patricia
    March 28, 2010 at 3:27 a.m.

I grew up on 52nd and Central. My memories of South Park were of the homeless and cholos. Growing up I couldn't wait to get out of the area. I finally did when I turned 18. I never want to go back.

— E.G.
    February 17, 2010 at 9:12 a.m.

I was born on Park Front Walk in '73, went to 49th and used to love the Park, although it didn't have the best rep. I moved away from the area right after elementary and still came back from time to time since I had roots over there. From what I can see the neighborhood has changed a lot in appearance and all and the park had always changed overtime and will never get back to the glory days of ole when it really was a lot going on out there.

— Les King
    February 14, 2010 at 6:56 p.m.

I grew up in the South Park area, and I still live here to this day. A lot has changed, as a kid, there were always cop patrolling the area and someone getting arrested, and a lot of homeless at the park. Now, as I'm older, This place has improved, there is more families at the park, I rarely see homeless, and Rarely any cops except for the ones that patrol. Though this place isn't 100% safe, it's way better then when I was younger

— David Hernandez
    January 24, 2010 at 10:41 p.m.

I grew up on 55th/Broadway in the 1970's and moved to San Francisco in 1980. Moving back to L.A. over 30 yrs later, my neighborhood has not changed much, besides a different demographic (mostly Latino now). I get nostalgic everytime I pass Slauson exit on the 110 frwy. All of my elementary school friends are dead or in jail (gangs)--I suppose I got out just in time.

— daWreck
    December 23, 2009 at 4:28 p.m.

South Park does not have nice houses or anything like that. It may have homeless and gangsters. But, it has some calm quiet streets too. Every neighborhood has calm and bad areas. From Historic South Central to Watts. One more thing good about the area is that is near Downtown LA.

— Jose
    December 18, 2009 at 10:08 a.m.

i lived in 53st avalon and i went to 49th and carver but south park 10 years ago was trash alot of bums my friend got beat up becouse the bums wanted money i dont know i got my bicycle robbed their its not a nice place

— ralph rosas
    November 29, 2009 at 12:34 p.m.

I use to live at 673 East 49th street, back in the days (1959 to 1975). I attended 49 street school, Carver Jr. High, and Jefferson High school. I remember being the only Mexican in the area, other then the three or four that I would see in school and I had no idea where they lived.

I recall seeing a lot of history, like in 1965 the wattes riot, the Black Panter shoot out in 1971 with the Police on 41st/Central Ave, and the Police shoot out in 1974 on 54th / Comptom with SLA.

Anyway, I could go on and no, please reply to this e-mail if anyone would like to hear more.

— Jose L Barajas
    November 3, 2009 at 1:17 a.m.

South Park

is a neighborhood in the city of Los Angeles in the South L.A. region of Los Angeles County.

South Park is one of the 272 neighborhoods in Mapping L.A., The Times’ resource for crime, neighborhoods, demographics and schools.